2019 College Football

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by random_roller, Aug 31, 2019.

1. random_roller, Dec 4, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

LMAO, this one from a dean at Auburn University is hilarious:

upload_2019-12-5_1-31-51.png

Better keep sharp objects away from Michigan football fans following yet another blowout loss to Ohio State.

upload_2019-12-5_1-37-35.png

upload_2019-12-5_1-39-55.png

upload_2019-12-5_1-41-4.png

upload_2019-12-5_1-41-56.png

upload_2019-12-5_1-42-53.png

upload_2019-12-5_1-50-30.png

MisterInside and yacraps like this.
  2. random_roller, Dec 5, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

3. Night Attack, Dec 5, 2019

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

So are you saying the bucks won't cover the spread?

yacraps likes this.
  4. random_roller, Dec 5, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

At this point in the season, it's about winning and advancing to the next game (while avoiding injuries to key players). Margin be damned. Wisconsin will be trying to show it belongs on the same field as Ohio State. The Badgers were embarrassed in Columbus earlier this season (38-7). Tough to beat the same team twice in a season in college football, let alone by 2+ TDs, if the opponent is decent. Hasn't (yet) been done in the B1G Ten. Wisconsin won the B1G Ten Championship Game, beating MSU in 2011 & Nebraska in 2012, after losing to those teams in the regular season.

Ohio State should win on Saturday, but whether or not it covers is a different issue. BTW, FSU couldn't get it done during the 1996 season, losing to Florida in the Sugar Bowl (NC game) after beating the Gators during the regular season. Nebraska lost to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl after beating the Sooners in the 1978 regular season. LSU beat Alabama in the 2011 regular season then was rolled by the Tide (21-0) in the BCS Championship. The big difference between those games and this one is the time off between games. Not sure there is time to put in a lot of new plays at this point, but both coaches probably suspected a rematch would happen and planned accordingly.

Finally, recall Buckeye QB Justin Fields is playing with an MCL injury. The thought of Ohio State's backup QB playing when the game is on the line is...a very scary thought.

yacraps and Night Attack like this.
  5. Night Attack, Dec 5, 2019

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

Real good info. Thanks Roller and good luck on Saturday, I mean Sunday.

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  6. MisterInside, Dec 7, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Wow.....Wisconsin sure made it interesting but the class of OSU showed in the 2nd half.

Seems to me that Ohio State, LSU and Clemson are evenly matched. Seedings will be announced on the 12-4 EST on ESPN Sunday.

Lines aren't available yet, but here's my wild ass guess:
    I've got Clemson -1 over OSU if the Bucks are dropped to #2; OSU -16 over Oklahoma if they stay #1. I'll make LSU -17.5 over Oklahoma if they get the #1 slot and LSU -1 over Clemson otherwise. Has there ever been a better 2 vs 3 game than LSU/Clemson? That will be like watching an NFL game.

Over/unders around the low 60's?

7. random_roller, Dec 7, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

Wisconsin led 21-7 at the half. At that point, my wife -- who attended UW -- told me she loved me and therefore would leave the living room (where we had been watching the game) for the 2nd half. As I have mentioned several times before, I have the most awesome wife in the world!!

Ohio State outscored Wisconsin 27-0 in the 2nd half but didn't really come close to covering the -16.5 spread. Interestingly, OSU scored the final 28 points in the 2nd half of the game back in October.

Win and advance to the CFP. Mission accomplished. Now the real season begins.

upload_2019-12-7_23-38-57.png

yacraps likes this.
  8. random_roller, Dec 7, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

I had a good laugh at the expense of those who thought Georgia had a legitimate shot at knocking off LSU. College football is in an offense first (and second & third) era. Unless a team has a decent offense, it really can't compete for a national championship. The 4 teams projected for the CFP -- Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma -- all have big-time, big-play offenses and excellent QBs. Georgia didn't have the offensive firepower needed to take advantage of a average LSU defense.

Clemson will be very difficult to beat, regardless of the opponent. Dabo will easily be the best -- and most experienced -- head coach in the CFP this season. Clemson is basically 2015 Ohio State but survived the upset at North Carolina to qualify for the CFP this season. That Ohio State team -- the defending, albeit disinterested (at times) national champs -- would have won it all IMHO had the committee truly picked the 4 best teams that year. So hats off to Clemson for doing enough this season to return to the CFP (and also peaking at the right time).

yacraps likes this.
  9. KokomoJoe4, Dec 8, 2019

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Hmmm. 3 out of 4, but forgot what might be the best team. Will be interesting to see who gets to play the #2 vs #3 game, which Clemson will probably win.

Just got a Resource Limited message typing this in. Has LID been released?

yacraps likes this.
  10. yacraps, Dec 8, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

Yeah I've been getting them also....its gonna be a fun and exciting CFP to watch ;)

11. random_roller, Dec 8, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

Great news for #2 Ohio State -- the #2 seed has won the CFP Championship Game 3 out of the 5 times it has been played. Also, the #1 and #3 seeds haven't won it all (yet). Perhaps it's the result of biased seeding?

So, thank you CFP Committee, lol. An Ohio State win in the CFP Championship Game would square things up at 2 wins each for the Buckeyes, Clemson and Alabama.

upload_2019-12-8_23-41-19.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    yacraps likes this.
  12. random_roller, Dec 8, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

Easy there, Koko. Might happen, but for the sake of college football, Ohio State should prevail over Evil Empire East. Thankfully, Evil Empire South (Alabama) will not be in this season's edition of the CFP; instead, Team Satan, Saban will be toying with The Team Up North in the Citrus Bowl.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    yacraps and MisterInside like this.
  13. MisterInside, Dec 9, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Alabama -7 looks GREAT!

14. random_roller, Dec 9, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

Lol, tempting but it's hard to gauge how much interest Alabama will have. It's a "CFP or bust" mentality in Tuscaloosa. Michigan will (desperately) try and win this game but I don't have much confidence in a former Ole Mess QB leading his team to victory. He'll probably start having bad flashbacks when he lines up under center and sees 'Bama jerseys across the line.

Most here who have read my past comments about Alabama football know I'm not a fan. Not only has Evil Empire South won too often this millennium, it's refusal to schedule true home & home games against P5 opponents -- while continuing to schedule FCS opponents in late November -- is absolutely ridiculous. While it pains me to root for The Team Up North, I root for all B1G Ten teams in bowl games. Even the one in Ann Arbor. Especially against an SEC opponent.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    MisterInside likes this.
  15. random_roller, Dec 9, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

I'm already suffering from college football withdrawal. Nebraska isn't going to a bowl game (again), so I had to find something from the archives. Right now I'm watching the 1995 Orange Bowl between #1 Nebraska and #3 Miami (FL). Nothing like playing for a national championship on the opponents home field. This was the final college bowl game played at the venerable facility.

A lot of big-time future professionals played in this game. Just saw punter Darin Erstad make an appearance for the Huskers. Erstad was the #1 overall draft pick in the 1995 MLB June Amateur Draft and played 14 seasons in the majors, including 11 for the California Angels. Huskers Corey Schlesinger (FB), Zach Wiegert (LT), Adam Treu (C) and Mike Minter (S) played 10+ seasons in the NFL. For the Hurricanes, Warren Sapp (DT) & Ray Lewis (LB) are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. How did anyone score on the Canes with those 2 guys on defense? Miami also had Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and Rohan Marley (Bob's son).

The good guys won 24-17, with Tommie Frazier leading the 4th quarter comeback and then being named the game's MVP. Crazy how quickly almost 25 years has passed by since that game.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    yacraps and MisterInside like this.
  16. MisterInside, Dec 10, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Just before kickoff of Ohio State-Michigan, as the band played the Michigan fight song, ex Michigan Heisman trophy winner, Charles Woodson, asks Urban Meyer if he knew the words to the song. Urban replied, I KNOW 7-0! Classic.

yacraps and random_roller like this.
  17. yacraps, Dec 10, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

I would of never of guessed that :rolleyes:

random_roller likes this.
  18. random_roller, Dec 14, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

Good game so far. Navy QB Malcolm Perry has been the difference with 2 big runs (and no pass attempts!) in the first half. The Middies have attempted only 1 pass -- by a WR on a reverse -- but it was good for a TD very late in the 2nd period.

After a 3-and-out on Navy's first possession, Army had an 18 play, 10+ minute drive culminating in a TD. It was surreal, given how quickly many teams score in today's offense-crazed game.

Many thanks to all the men and women in our armed forces who are honorably serving our country (or have done so) and protecting our freedom and constitutional rights that we so cherish.

The streak ends today. Go Navy! Beat Army.

upload_2019-12-14_15-48-19.png

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    yacraps likes this.
  19. random_roller, Dec 14, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

20. random_roller, Dec 15, 2019

random_roller

random_roller Member

So I did a search for "ohio state football" and among the items returned is Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame under "Junior college football teams".

Priceless, lol.

upload_2019-12-15_20-3-11.png

yacraps likes this.