Good to be spam free!

Discussion in 'Housekeeping' started by Morgue, May 21, 2015.

1. Morgue, May 21, 2015

Morgue

Morgue Member

There was a time when there was a couple of spam threads almost every day on this forum. It's good to see it looking a lot cleaner now.

Did the problem go away by itself or were measures taken?

In any case, great job @Jacob!

2. Onautopilot, May 21, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I was wondering when someone was going to invite them back in. :)

3. Jacob

Jacob Administrator
    Staff Member

Crapsforum still gets hit with quite a bit of spam that gets filtered before you see it. Hard to tell if the attacks have waned or not, but I have been actively adding all the new spam URLs I find to pre-filter most of the repeat spam posts, along with blocking some IP addresses. Fighting spam has always been a game of cat and mouse though -- for now it seems I've got the upper hand, but I expect they will keep trying and reappear from time to time.

Thanks for noticing Morgue :)

4. betwthelines, May 21, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

you are doing a fantastic job with the spam, Jacob!...many that are on this forum, myself included, have abandoned other boreds due to losing fights trying to filter it out...tom "home runs are often boring" p

Jacob and Onautopilot like this.
  5. The Midnight Skulker, May 26, 2015

The Midnight Skulker

I take it, then, that you are devoting the same effort to Roulette and Twenty One forums? The latter, lamentably IMHO, has never really taken off and so I attributed the rarity spam posts to the forum being ignored by spammers due to the lack of activity. Come to think of it, though, Roulette Forum has been fairly spam free the last year or so despite moderate activity.

I think spam was a major contributor to the demise of Usenet, but censorship is a slippery slope. By all indications, however, you are negotiating that slope very well. Add my thanks for doing a thankless job behind the scenes to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high.

betwthelines and Jacob like this.

6. Jacob

Jacob Administrator
    Staff Member

Not really. I locked those sites down with different spam filtering script and moved the signup page do a different URL that seems to be pretty effective at keeping out the spam bots. Other than that, I'd speculate that the decrease in spam on those sites might have something to do forum spam bots focusing their development resources on more modern and popular forum software platforms like this one (rouletteforum still runs on an old version of Expression Engine).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  7. $nakeEye$, Jun 22, 2015

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

Jacob -

You really have to adopt a bona fide initiation process which filters out the BS posters that STILL occur to this date -

Simply restricting access from certain domains will NOT solve this perpetual problem -

YOU need to have a process where potential members to YOUR forum have to have communication with YOU -

As a " for instance " -

Attempt to join Heavy's " AxisPowerCraps " forum -

There is a filtering process which you have to pass in order to get access to his forum -

Check it out for yourself - " www.axispowercraps.com/forum " -

Mention MY handle / name and YOU are a " shoe-in " !

$...eE..$

8. Jacob

Jacob Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been through Heavy's registration system, and other systems like it and I think they discourages genuine users from signing up and participating. I appreciate the suggestion, but I think forums should try to be open and with as few barriers to participation as reasonably possible.

9. $nakeEye$, Jun 23, 2015

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Member

Then WE have to contend with the incessant / never ending onslaught of SPAMmers' that YOU allow to corrupt this sanctuary -

Because of YOUR complacency to set MINIMUM requirements to access this forum !

$...eE..$

10. basicstrategy777, Jun 23, 2015

basicstrategy777

You eat my bread....you sing my song.

Onautopilot likes this.
  11. The Midnight Skulker, Jun 23, 2015

The Midnight Skulker

Because of my work schedule my computer play is usually limited to three days a week; hence I concede I may well be missing a lot of spam activity here. I must therefore ask, has there been a lot of spam activity here? I have kept no records, but off the top of my head I'm not recalling more than two or three spam posts a month for quite a while. That to me does not qualify as "incessant". YMMV but a 100% spam-free forum is a fantasy IMHO, if for no other reasons than the Law of Diminishing Returns and the question of who guards the guards..

Onautopilot likes this.

12. Jacob

Jacob Administrator
    Staff Member

There has been an uptick this June, but in total I've used the spam cleaner tool manually on 20 accounts since since March 10th of this year. As a general observation it is almost always a hit & run of 1 thread per spammer account and their thread titles are usually pretty obvious spam and can be skipped over easily, so the forum is still very usable in the short window those threads are active. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, as always.

@$nakeEye$ If you think this is bad, you'd probably blow a gasket looking at my email box :p. I realize I set the bar here, and I'm cognizant that some people really hate spam, but for the most part I think this site is pretty clean. With the help of members using the report function I'm able to keep up with nuking the spam daily, so only diehard regulars like yourself are likely to notice spam to any regular degree. For the casual browser, the whole archive is nearly spotless, dating back several years now, and I take pride in that.

Also, as a general tip browsing crapsforum between 9am-9pm Pacific is usually your best bet for seeing the least amount of spam.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  13. betwthelines, Jun 23, 2015

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

absolutely...this site is "basically" spam-free when you consider the remarkable and terrific openness of this forum....(yes, there has been a very slight uptick in it this june...)

dont change anything, jacob! thanks, tom "home runs are sometimes boring" p

14. William Blalock, Dec 6, 2016

William Blalock

Hi,
    Yeah, it's always good to be spam free.
    Thank you