Welcome to Our Community

Craps Forum is a space for craps players to talk strategy, learn from experts, and interact with fellow dice shooters. Want to get in on the action?

Join Now!

Great practice aids for distance control and keeping dice together

Discussion in 'Dice Influencing' started by BlackChip, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BlackChip, Jun 21, 2012

BlackChip

BlackChip New Member

I have built several practice rigs over the years but here are two that will do wonders with distance control and maintaining dice together. Best part you don't need the Diamond Gator Skin.

Don't get me wrong I do most of my time practicing on a normal craps table. But these aides might help you.

All my rigs are placed on a standard folding card table.

First Practice Rig: Very simple but makes you learn how to maintain dice control. 16" x16" 3/4 plywood covered with felt. Key NO SIDES just the board. Practice throwing from different distances keeping the dice on the felt. Very your arcs to see which once keep the dice on the felt.

Second Practice Rig: Again NO SIDES. 16" x 16" 3/4 plywood with 3.5" diameter hole cut in the center and covered with felt. In the bottom corners of the board I use 1 in legs to keep it off the card table. Practice throwing the dice into the hole. This one will expose bad dice grips and distance control.

No Dice Sets required just working on the swing and grip - the basic fundamentals.

TIP: Pair up at least four sets of dice before throwing (more is better). That way you can concentrate on your mechanics and not chasing dice.

The dimensions are just guides make them any size you want.

Good luck! Practice, practice and more practice.
  2. Southern-Comfort, Jun 21, 2012

Southern-Comfort

Southern-Comfort Member

Great concept. I'm going to have to make one of these myself.
  3. basehorhonda, Sep 17, 2012

basehorhonda

basehorhonda New Member

I like the idea on the hole in the middle of the box. Ill have to try that one out.

4. Heavy

Heavy Member

I thought I'd seen every possible rig configuration but this is a completely new one for me. I've used plastic bowls, baskets, and assorted other dice "catchers" through the years, but never thought about drilling a hole in a rig. Heck of an idea.
  5. BigBen, Feb 3, 2013

BigBen

BigBen Member

I just read this Thread now.
    These are good ideas, thanks for sharing 'em.

You are 100% correct, it's the MECHANICS of the Toss that need to be worked-on & perfected FIRST!

Good Luck,
    BigBen
  6. TheStoic, Feb 4, 2013

TheStoic

TheStoic New Member

Here's what I use to practice with my aim:

Using popsicle sticks from a craft store, make a "L" shape. Make it several sticks high, where at the corner the sticks are one on top of each other (all glued together). Make a second "L" the same height. Now you can inter-lock the 2 "L" shapes to make a box.

The benefits to this is 1) it is portable and 2) I can constantly adjust the size of this box at anytime, since the 2 "L" shapes are just interlocked.

I'll just put it on my bed and start throwing.

I noticed that one of my problems before was my aim, or more accurately my depth perception. So if I'm sitting at my desk on my computer I will sometimes toss a single die like a basketball, again just to help with my aim.
  7. royal99, Feb 4, 2013

royal99

royal99 New Member

i just use a cardboard box that I place on my bed
  8. $nakeEye$, Feb 5, 2013

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Active Member

I definetely like the idea of having a target to toss to / into -

Where it can start out large at the beginning of your journey -

Then can be reduced AND re-positioned on the layout as you may see fit to enhance your hand/eye co-ordination -

BlackChip - extremely well thought out and challenging concept -

A " Purple Chip " to Black Chip for his concept !

$...Ee..$
  9. BigBen, Feb 5, 2013

BigBen

BigBen Member

They're all great for OH tossing, but unfortunately not able to use the "target practice" solution for UH tossing.

Just sayin'... ;-)

BB
  10. $nakeEye$, Feb 5, 2013

$nakeEye$

$nakeEye$ Active Member

True GrassHopper, so true -

You need to deploy potholes on your layout -

That way you can weave in and out of the landmines ( chips ) on the layout -

While the rest of old holdouts -

Just " fly over " the obstacles that are in " your " way ! :bug:

$...eE..$

P.S. Going to attempt to teach " L " to throw the icetong grip from SR-1 - too many obstacles / chips on the layout more oft than not -

even while attempting to " block " for her -

Also, going that route myself - from SR1-2 - to get closer in !

See you in a couple of weeks -

Keep practicing - we will !

11. BlackChip, Mar 17, 2013

BlackChip

BlackChip New Member

Thanks Guys for all the positive feedbacks!

I think when we all first start out shooting we think a certain "dice set" plus setting up at next to the stickman and doing our best impression of the "Dominator" is all we need.

If you can't reach down after throw and pick up both dice with one hand on a regular craps table - your are still not there yet.

Perfection = Impossible Consistency = Good Goal

Just my thoughts.

"45 + minute rolls for all"