Great read!

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by DeMango, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Liman

Liman Member

Fred one guy hitting a lot of 6 or 8's is common enough
    If he gets the dice every roll and rolls a shitload of them every time anyone at the table that knew him and didn't pass the dice to him needed their heads examined
    Consistently is what can make any of us rich

2. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 16, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

I was introduced (electronically, never met the man in person) to Frank Scoblete about 20 years ago by a (now deceased) member of the old Usenet newsgroup. I was just getting interested in DI as a result of that newsgroup and, mistaking my introduction as indicating more expertise on the subject than I actually possessed, asked me to write an article for his hard-copy magazine. I obliged him. My attitude was (and still is) that while most aspirants to a crapshooting career will not be rewarded with a steady diet of chicken dinners (sorry, couldn't resist) there may be a few such. Hence my main point was that pursuit of DI was completely safe providing the pursuer remained aware of how elusive the skill can be.

Scobe printed my article along with a response and forwarded my email (and later my snail mail) address to Bonus Books, which then started sending me books on gambling to review. Frank also sent me a signed copy of Forever Craps, which was the first I had heard of The Captain.

It is pretty obvious Frank used some industrial strength poetic license in his description of The Captain's epic hand and those of the flexible extension of The Captain's backbone -- OK, not sorry -- but it was not until I read of Pat DeMauro's hand that I, like random_roller, seriously questioned the authenticity of the tale.
    I personally think his accounts of The Captain and his crew fall into the category of "based on a true story" often used in the film industry.

BTW Frank was/is also quite the hustler. In one of his first emails he invited me to attend a GTC seminar, claiming I would be "quite interested" in what they taught. I do not remember if he offered to comp all or part of the fee, but I declined the invitation.

NB. I read or heard somewhere that the day that scene was to be shot Harrison Ford was quite ill. He told the director, "The only way I'm going to get through that scene is if I shoot the guy." The scene, originally scripted to be much longer with Indy being more active while eluding the Arab, was modified to accomodate the new constraint.

yacraps, Grizzoola, HornHiYo and 4 others like this.
  3. Settingcanthurt, Feb 16, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Twasnt simple ol chicken. Twas Peacock

yacraps likes this.
  4. HornHiYo, Feb 16, 2020

HornHiYo

HornHiYo Member

"The Arm"! "The Arm"! Don't forget the Captain's Misses "The Arm". It is written that she was a better shooter than the Captain and players would wait around the ?Borgata? table waiting for "The Arm" to show and play. When she showed every one always made money off "The Arm"; Tens of Thousands of $.

5. Liman

Liman Member

I met Imaplaya along with several other people, all dice setters in ceasars AC years ago. I was introduced to a woman, middle aged, and was told she was the best di shooter of the bunch, of all di shooters.
    The only one I saw have a decent roll at the table was the only one that wasn't part of "our" group, as we took up around 6-7 spots on the table, there were 2 or 3 other shooters, one of them was a colleged age kid. He had a decent roll that kept my bankroll alive while the dice moved around the table swiftly

I keep searching.for that shooter whos going to surprise me., I wonder if she was the arm?

yacraps and HornHiYo like this.

6. Liman

Liman Member

Ive mentioned here someone in the past, the best consistent shooter Ive seen in over a decade that I can remember, was a guy in Valley Forge. Almost the entire table was setting dice, this one guy hit 4s or maybe it was 10s, now I don't recall but I know it was the 4 or 10, and I was come betting and making huge money off his roll. It was impressive, when he go the dice again, he hit them over and over again. the only problem was he never bet one of them, he had his money on 2 other numbers, never bet what he was hitting. Just luck. but I like when someone hits repeaters on 4 and 10

yacraps likes this.
  7. random_roller, Feb 16, 2020

random_roller

random_roller Member

So The Arm is the ATM. Ah, now it's starting to make sense. Or not.

yacraps and HornHiYo like this.
  8. von duck, Feb 17, 2020

von duck

von duck Member

That definitely sounds like, "Dave Guacamole". Was his stroke real "fluid"? :)