Greatest US Sports Moment Ever

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by MisterInside, Feb 21, 2020.

1. MisterInside, Feb 21, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

40 years ago on Saturday, Team USA beat Russia at Lake Placid. This is rated the #1 US sports moment ever by Sports Illustrated. What's yours?

upload_2020-2-21_19-28-54.png

2. MisterInside, Feb 21, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I pick Ali-Frazier I........March 8, 1971......Madison Square Garden......called The Fight

Two undefeated champions, social impact of Ali, his suspension, Vietnam, name change, $2.5 million each, I paid $25 to watch on closed circuit at Baltimore Civic Center (was sold out). Those on the left sided with Ali, the right was pulling for Joe. I'll never forget the anticipation of that fight. Frazier would win a unanimous decision but would lose the rematch and the 'Thrilla in Manila.'

3. lone irish digit, Feb 21, 2020

lone irish digit

This is Barney

May 4 1992, Caesars Palace. The LID and the late Dan Mahoney playing craps and both are so shit faced they could hardly stand up. On one hand with only one other personage at table, the LID tosses 18 yoes in a row on the come out. Nobody at table ever bet on the 11 through out the come out because LID and Dan were too drunk to communicate their bets to dealer and possibly the other personage at table was too stupid or in state of shock.

4. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 21, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

5. MisterInside, Feb 21, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

I have to admit that wasn’t on my short list, but it should have been. Great choice. I had “the shot heard ‘round the world.” Larsen recently passed away.

yacraps likes this.
  6. yacraps, Feb 22, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

I remember these two well...the Ali Frazier fight I was with my oldest brother watching it on closed circuit very exciting for a 11 tr old
    wasnt born yet but only could imagine perfect game in a World Series had to of been fun to watch or listen to

MisterInside likes this.
  7. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 22, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

That was actually the first moment that came to my mind, not so much for that actual feat but for Russ Hodges's calling of it. Other thoughts: Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and Roger Bannister breaking the four-minute barrier. I settled on Larsen's perfect game because 63 years later it is still the only perfect game ever pitched in a World Series, and it required more than just a single moment of effort -- also true with your choice.

Baseball was "my sport" throughout my youth, and I was a big Yankee fan until the Dodgers moved to my area. I remember being in a 7th grade P.E. swimming class. The coach was listening to the game on the radio and matter-of-factly made some comment like, "He did it," when pinch hitter Dale Mitchell was called out on strikes. I didn't find out what "he did" until I saw the newspaper the next day.

8. random_roller, Feb 22, 2020

random_roller

random_roller Member

My pick is 1980 Team USA's Miracle on Ice. The Soviet Union's men's hockey team was professional in almost every sense of the word; its core players had been together for years and practiced year-round. CCCP had blitzed Japan (16-0) and Netherlands (17-4) and also beat Team Canada (6-4) earlier, finishing 5-0 in the round robin. In contrast, Team USA was cobbled together with players from college rosters, amateurs in every sense of the word.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Ohio State Buckeye Jesse Owen's performance at the 1935 Big Ten Championships is still the greatest individual performance in sports of all-time, IMO beating out his performance at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. Owens set 5 world records and tied a 6th in a span of 45 minutes that afternoon in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

https://www.olympic.org/news/jesse-owens-and-the-greatest-45-minutes-in-sport

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    MisterInside and yacraps like this.
  9. yacraps, Feb 23, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

when you have a color full radio announcer I think some times its more fun to listen to events then watching them
    heres a radio call from 1970.."Man woman and child"
    http://www.saythedamnscore.com/505/

random_roller and MisterInside like this.
  10. MisterInside, Feb 23, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Sadly, I don't remember that. Great call. Announcers are really good at their craft.

yacraps and random_roller like this.
  11. random_roller, Feb 23, 2020

random_roller

random_roller Member

You know your college football, yacraps, lol. That 1971 Nebraska team is easily one of the Top 5 all-time in college football; many respected pundits have those Huskers #1 all-time. They won on the road at arch rival #2 Oklahoma 35-31 in a real "Game of the Century". Johnny Rodgers clinched the Heisman with the punt return TD during that game. Nebraska also beat #9 Colorado 31-7 in Lincoln and #2 Alabama 38-6 in the Orange Bowl. The final 1971 AP Poll (after bowl games): #1 Nebraska (13-0), #2 Oklahoma (11-1), #3 Colorado (10-2), #4 Alabama (11-1). Bear Bryant said 1971 Nebraska was the best he had ever seen. Of course, he passed away before getting a chance to watch 1995 Nebraska...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    MisterInside and yacraps like this.
  12. yacraps, Feb 23, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

Inside he was a local that called the Cornhuskers games for quite a while he was well known in Nebraska and that was probably it

MisterInside likes this.
  13. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 24, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

For obvious reasons Paul J. Schneider's call of the hook-and-lateral play that kept Boise State's 2007 Fiesta Bowl hopes alive is one of my favorites. Between taxi runs the night after the game I tuned in to, IIRC, Colin Cowherd's sports talk show during which he of course gave his take on the game. Before he replayed Paul J's call he challenged listeners to try to identify the exact instant the lateral was made. (Incidentally, there is a Lego version of the end of that game, but I do not know who the announcers are.)

I was recently told here that I am one of a small number of fans who like Howard Cosell. I readily concede that he was an acquired taste, and he would, or probably did if he tried it, fail miserably as a play-by-play announcer because one has to see or know what he is actually describing to "get it". Nevertheless, I found humor in his eloquent descriptions of the mundane, just like I do with a good pun. With that prolog I offer my version of the replay of the Johnny Rodgers punt return with Howard (borrowing a little from Chick Hearn, John Madden, Chris Berman, and Dick Vitale) at the mic.
    Rodgers waits at his 30. Wiley lofts a rain-maker giving Rodgers time to order a pizza on his cell phone that hasn't been invented yet. The spheroid arrives along with a veritable plethora of tacklers. He's hit as he secures the pigskin, but escapes perdition to his right and turns up field. [Becoming more excited] He's to the 35...the 40...fakes some defenders into the popcorn machine at the 50, gets a block (BOOM) at the 35. He could...go...all...the...way. OH BABY, ARE YOU SERIOUS?! The Jet takes it to the mansion with a superlative display of motivational prowess, and the fans become exceedingly jubilant.​

yacraps and MisterInside like this.
  14. MisterInside, Feb 24, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Caesar's Palace? Wasn't that other personage Evel Knievel?
    A for effort.

yacraps likes this.
  15. random_roller, Feb 24, 2020

random_roller

random_roller Member

Many convicted felons currently on death row would probably cease their often frivolous appeals and sprint for the gas chamber if (after a successful appeal) they faced the prospect of life imprisonment AND being forced to listen to Howard Cosell ramble on (over the prison speaker system) in that monotone drivel that was unique to him.

yacraps likes this.
  16. yacraps, Feb 24, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

[email protected]#$king Roller..:D

17. yacraps, Feb 24, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

Midnight...I am lost at words...I have loved and enjoyed you and your posts over the fortunate years I have been lucky enough to come across you and them...but Skulker I must say this one takes all cakes and pies I absolutely loved and enjoyed everything in it LOL..the legos OMG did I enjoy that and by the way I watched and loved the ending to that great game a CLASSIC forever as for Howard I to am with you I enjoyed Howard...watching and listening to him was like I cant wait to see hear the smart stupid thing that he would say its like wait for it, wait for it either way I luv this post thank you for it...oh wouldn't be fun if we could reincarnate Howard to come back and announce the Buck eye games :)...I think the Roller man would luv it :rolleyes::)..Random ;) lol

18. random_roller, Feb 25, 2020

random_roller

random_roller Member

yacraps you're a good person. However, if that pompous asswipe Howard Cosell somehow came back from the dead and did play by play on future Ohio State games, I would find a voodoo practitioner and have a curse put on Southern CA weather.

yacraps likes this.
  19. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 25, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

yacraps likes this.
  20. yacraps, Feb 25, 2020

yacraps

yacraps Member

LOL..LOL..luv yuh dude..:) and I wouldnt blame yuh ;)