Welcome to Craps Forum

Craps Forum is a free space for craps players to talk strategy, learn from experts, and interact with fellow dice shooters. Want to get in on the action?

horn bet....

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by basicstrategy777, Mar 21, 2012.

1. basicstrategy777, Mar 21, 2012

basicstrategy777

basicstrategy777 Member

What does a 5 dollar horn bet pay where you play ?

2. The Midnight Skulker, Mar 21, 2012

The Midnight Skulker

The Midnight Skulker Member

At my local haunt aces and sixes pay 31:1, so the horn pays 7:1 ($35) on the high side, 3:1 ($15) on the low side. (Interesting, though, is that the hoppin' hardways pay the standard 30:1.)
  3. rudeboy99, Mar 26, 2012

rudeboy99

rudeboy99 Member

The correct payoff for the high side is $33.75. Where I work we round it down to $33.50 as we have half dollars on the game.

4. idoc

idoc Member

Same as C&E correct?

So is a horn bet the same as C&E?
  5. kaysirtap, Mar 26, 2012

kaysirtap

kaysirtap Member

Only in the sense that the bet pays 3x and 7x depending on what hits.

No, while the same exact numbers are being bet on, they are being bet in different ways. A Horn bet would be the same as a Three-Way-Craps and a Yo (3 parts TWC to 1 part Y). But since Three-Way-Craps is not the same as Any Craps, C&E is not the same as a Horn. I guess you could say that the C&E is like a Horn bet that's a little high on the ace-deuce, and REALLY high on the yo.

As a side note, a Three-Way-Craps with an extra unit on the ace-deuce pays the same as the Any Craps with payouts of 31 to 1, 15 to 1, and 7 to 1.
  6. basicstrategy777, Mar 26, 2012

basicstrategy777

basicstrategy777 Member

The horn bet: House edge is 12.5 %

You are individually covering the 2,3,11,12.

If 2 or 12 is rolled, one quarter of your wager is paid off at 30 to1 and the remainder of your bet is lost.

If 3 or 11 is rolled, one quarter of your bet is paid off at 15 to 1 and the remaider of your bet is lost.

5 dollar horm is paid off as midnite said ( Only dollar chips )

The C & E bet: house edge is 11.11%

On a 2 dollar C & E bet..... the 2,3,12 pays 7 to 1 and the 11 bet loses ; net 6. Said another way, a craps number pays 3 to 1 of the total bet.( 3 x 2dollars= 6)

The 11 pays 15 to 1 and the craps (2,3,12) loses; net 14 ; Said another way, an 11 pays 7 to 1 of the total bet ( 7 x 2 dollars = 14)

If the player throws the stick a red chip and says..." 5 dollar C & E split" , the stick will place the chip onthe arror between the C and the E. This bet cannot be divided into 2 whole numbers ( no 50 cent chips) ; The payoff on the 11 is 35 dollars.....the payoff on the 2,3,12 is 15 dollars.

7. idoc

idoc Member

Considering the house edge, does this mean a $4 C&E is a better bet than a $4 Horn?

I don't usually make these kind of bets so that's why I'm asking.
  8. basicstrategy777, Mar 27, 2012

basicstrategy777

basicstrategy777 Member

I dedicate about 15% of my buy in to prop bets. It's fun....they can bring you back from the dead.....you can make big money if you are lucky. According to sharp pencil purists, they are hi-vig bets and should not be made. If you take this position, it would be difficult to argue that you are wrong and you really could not be criticized for this position. If you have a clear understanding of the game, than it really doesn't matter how you play as you will be aware.

I never play a C & E. I always will play the horn bet. The HA doesn't factor in with these bets, for me.

9. rudeboy99, Apr 10, 2012

rudeboy99

rudeboy99 Member

I totally agree with Basic Strat... every player with a lick of gambling know-how understands that the props are all a house %, but who doesn't like a long-shot at the horse tracks? The purpose of recreational gambling in the first place is to let your hair down, have some fun and hopefully make some free money from the House!! If you're going to fret over every House advantage and just grind it out totally with a "Safe and sane" betting strategy, staying totally away from the props, I think you're missing out on a real fun aspect of the game. Granted, you don't want to fall in love with the props, but they're wicked fun when you hit.