Welcome to Craps Forum

Craps Forum is a free space for craps players to talk strategy, learn from experts, and interact with fellow dice shooters. Want to get in on the action?

how to improve a 2 pitch throw

Discussion in 'Dice Influencing' started by gemgo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. gemgo

gemgo Member

if there are any dice setters i need some input. I use a hard way set with the 5's on top and the 4's facing me.
    i frequently 7 out with the 5-2. My understanding is that one of the dice has picthed 2 times to the opposite side giving me a 2 instead of a 5 on that dice. i'm not sure how to correct it. any suggestions.
  2. jonapple, Oct 10, 2009

jonapple

jonapple Member

theres a website called dice coach and on it u can find pix of dice sets and a description of how and when to use them, ive read that the hardways set is good if u keep it on axis but that there are four ways to hit a seven with it, maybe u can find another set that u can use that will help u a lil better
  3. Ironwig, Jan 15, 2010

Ironwig

Ironwig Member

track your practice sessions
    i use this spreadsheet and it helps out a lot
    i use the hardway with the fours on top and i know what you mean
    i do hit hard ways a lot but i do get 5-2's a lot as well...
    this spreadsheet takes the dice setting that you specify (in this case, the hardway set) and it simulates with your roll results what your roll would of been had you used a different set on your dice. It takes the axis in account, etc...
    it also has all types of dice settings and it breaks down the percentage of each number and what % that you will hit that number going by your rolls with the hardway set.
    its a great tool
    i use the spreadsheet to track with hardways, and after about 200-300 rolls, i review my stats and take notes.
    then i have a practice session where i take the info i gathered and try to hit my points with the sets that show the higher percentage
    from the simulation
    that way i can learn (muscle memory) the same throw and grip and the only thing that changes is the dice setting to hit my points...
    if you want more info email me
    [email protected]
    also check out my vids at youtube.com/user/ironwig
  4. rj.laroza, Jan 15, 2010

rj.laroza

rj.laroza Member

check out bone tracker. its a great excel document that helps u log ur throws. it will even tell you which dice is pitching and u can make ur adjustment that way.

usually from my (short) experience... if one of ur dice is pitching more than the other.. that means that one of ur fingers are slighting higher or lower than the opposite. that causes the dice to roll off either softer or harder on release making it spin more or less. try to even out the fingers more on a consistent level to execute hardways or a single pitch.
  5. diceclass, Apr 27, 2010

diceclass

diceclass Member

The Hardway Set is considered the best set for beginners to use when practicing controlled throwing. Unfortunately, I too have made the 7 show more times with this set than any other. Yet, it is touted by most professional craps players that this is the set to use if you wanna decrease the frequency of the 7.

But the Hardway set does allow for four 7's even when thrown properly. The "6-1" seven is the bad 7 to throw and indicates a poor toss using this set. But the 3-4 and 5-2 sevens are considered part of the numbers allowed by the set. You cannot eliminate the 7 all together, but you can lower its frequency by eliminating the 6-1 seven on a proper throw.

Personally, I don't use the Hardway set at all. I use the "3-V" set which allows for 2 sevens (3-4 and 4-3) to appear if thrown properly. This set eliminates the 5-2 and 6-1 sevens if kept on axis. Try this set.

Make the top show a hard six in a "v" shape and make the sides facing you either show an 8 or a 6 the easy way.

I think you will have better luck with this set. Let me know.

- Dice Class
  6. tercol58, Apr 28, 2010

tercol58

tercol58 Member

Not much of a dice setter in fact I am not a dice setter at all but when you guys are practicing are you you using dice of different colors and holding them in the same place on each throw seems like this would help you know which one is going off axis
  7. THE PUNISHER, May 3, 2010

THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Member

I too would have problems with 7-out on the hardways set. But, after trying different sets out, I learned that the three-v set works out better for me. Consistent six's and eight's, all night.
  8. The Craps Coach, Aug 23, 2010

The Craps Coach

The Craps Coach Member

9. Sixeight, Aug 23, 2010

Sixeight

Sixeight Member

I would suggest more practice at home would do the trick. Bonetracker is an excellent tool to use and I would also use two different colored dice to differentiate the left and right to find out which side is pitching more . Being able to analyze the throw is key. I would set up a camera to record the throw to see how the dice rotate in the air, the landing and how they bounce unless you have great eyes and can see all of that.

10. mikol

mikol Member

Maybe you guys should set them this way on the come out roll.Sounds like your good at throwing sevens.
  11. BurntBurro, Dec 22, 2010

BurntBurro

BurntBurro Member

The more important question that none of you are asking is "what" kind of Craps strategy will I be using if I do get a good run of numbers going with your dice shooting skills? Will you just play pass line w/odds or throw up some money inside (covering the 5-6-8-9) and begin come betting as well? Especially if you place odds on your come bets when they go up to numbers. What assists me in my overall play is that I'm aware that only 4 things can happen to me during a Craps table session: I can "win alot" or "win alittle" along with "lose alot" or "lose alittle". If I can toss "lose alot" out of this equation (due to following negative plateaus & other departure rules), I can make a great living just using the other three. Think about it. If you are attempting to perfect setting dice (which I think is impossible due to the dice having to hit that back wall, plus picking 2 dice out of the 5 offered you at the start of each new roll) you had better have some interesting kind of strategy to take full advantage of the "Craps run" you're creating here. The strategies that I have at my fingertips will have me on the "right" side of the game - if anyone of you do indeed take off on a short run, but I'm well aware of one of the main strengths of playing at a fully crowded Craps table and that's - NO TWO SHOOTERS ARE ALIKE! So, someone is going to take me to my evening's goal as we move down the table ..... and who it will be usually has nothing to do with controlled dice shooting.
Reminder: This is the Dice Influencing section.