I just love it so.....

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017.

1. basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017

basicstrategy777

I just can't get enough.......

House Democrats fail to muster support to challenge Trump’s Electoral College win

A challenge by more than a dozen House Democrats to Donald Trump’s election on Friday collapsed when they failed to convince a single Democratic senator to join their protest.

The short-lived, doomed-from-the-start effort — spearheaded by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas and Barbara Lee of California — came during a joint meeting of the House and Senate to certify Trump’s Electoral College victory. Without sufficient support to challenge Trump’s victory, the Republican-led Congress moved ahead with an easy confirmation of Trump’s presidency. The only remaining step is for him to take the oath of office on Jan. 20.

“It is over,” said Vice President Joe Biden, presiding over the meeting, said after three Democratic House members lodged objections but failed to secure required support from any senator. His comment drew a standing ovation and cheers from the assembled Republicans in the room.

The joint session of Congress is a legally required — and typically ceremonial — event to ratify the results of the presidential election. But members are permitted to challenge the validity of electoral votes, and for just the fourth time since the 1877, they did so.

There was no expectation that the protests would succeed — backers acknowledged that the Republican-led House and Senate would never act to impede Trump’s imminent presidency. But it’s a continuation of efforts by Democrats to poke Trump in the eye before he takes office and undermine what his team has described as a “mandate” to govern. Democrats have routinely cited Trump’s 2.9 million-vote popular vote loss to Hillary Clinton and pounced on Russian meddling in the election to undermine Trump’s victory.

Jackson Lee and her allies argued that widespread voter suppression in states won by Trump tarnished the results. They also pointed to research provided by a team of independent lawyers that found dozens of Republican electors were technically ineligible to serve. But their arguments failed to convince their Senate colleagues to step forward.

Though any single member may lodge an objection, only those supported by both a House member and senator are eligible for debate. Had the effort by House Democrats gained support of a single senator, it would have delayed the confirmation of Trump’s victory by hours, forcing the Senate to retreat to its chamber and debate the merits of each challenged electoral vote.

The attempted objections began immediately, when Rep. James McGovern (D-Mass.) protested Alabama’s electoral votes, citing Russian interference in the presidential election. His declaration drew a sharp round of booing from the Republicans in the chamber.

Biden asked if his objection was in writing and if he had the support of a senator. When McGovern acknowledged he had no senator, Biden quickly moved on.

At times, Democratic objectors attempted to lodge complains over Biden’s attempts to gavel the session along. When Jackson Lee objected to Michigan’s votes, Biden gaveled her silent. But she quickly started speaking again while Biden repeatedly slammed the gavel and Republicans began shouting for “order” in the chamber. The episode repeated again when Jackson Lee objected to South Carolina’s vote.

Other objections came from freshman Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin and Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi told reporters ahead of the session that she supported the rationale of the protesting lawmakers but that without a Senate backer, their effort was in vain.

“Quite frankly, there’s nothing they could say in there that would be an overstatement of the reasons why we should have a floor discussion. But the fact is you can’t do it on a one house basis,” she said.

She added that the point of the protest was mostly symbolic, a chance for members to disapprove of Trump.

“It’s not going to have an impact on the outcome of the election. So, that’s not the point. But I think that people don’t want the day to pass without registering concern,” she said. “In some cases, members are concerned about voter suppression. In some cases they are concerned about Russian influence on our election. There are a number of concerns. But really, it’s not going to have an impact at the end of the day.”

The last time lawmakers forced debate on an electoral vote challenge came in 2005, when then-Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) joined Ohio Rep. Stephanie Tubbs-Jones to contest the decisive Ohio electoral votes that delivered George W. Bush his reelection. They spent two hours arguing that voting irregularities may have tipped the election in Bush’s favor but failed to convince their colleagues to reverse the outcome.

There was little hope among Democrats for a different outcome this time, even if they had managed to secure support from a senator. Trump’s support among Congressional Republicans runs deep, and they were all but certain to ignore technical challenges to electors’ qualifications.

“Is there one United States senator who will join me?” said Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) after the electoral votes for Wyoming, the final state, were read aloud.

And here is the voice of reason trying to sink the Trump electerol vote...the FUTURE of the democratic party........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Grizzoola, Jan 6, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Oh, you're happy re: Trump's fall-in w/ the Russkies!

3. basicstrategy777, Jan 6, 2017

basicstrategy777

I feel bad that you think he is a fool Grizz....Don't under-estimate him; he is not a rookie.

far out likes this.
  4. Grizzoola, Jan 6, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

As POTUS, he is indeed a rookie. He'll find out (and so will you) that he can't run a government like his businesses. If he's not a politician now, he'll have to become one.

5. basicstrategy777, Jan 7, 2017

basicstrategy777

He is 70 years old....been involved with business dealings, negotiations, international leaders from all over the world, the NY mafia, plus God knows who/what else. He knows how to politic. He knows how to deal from strenght and is not afraid to lower the boom if need be.

He was not a young community organizer, with truly no experience in any area ,that was plunged into the job.

I believe he WILL run gov't like a business and the reason he will be able to is because he holds all the cards. The USA NEEDS to become rich again in order to fix our problems and compete in the world. We need someone with his negotiating skills, brains, precience, and onions.

His first 200 days will be a whirlwind.....he will get all his cabinet appointments.....he will do some outlandish things.....he will piss off the propagandist media, that don't work hard and do legitamite reporting but instead try to tear down the man, no matter what, and advance their agenda. ....

You are alive to witness a new way the Presidency will perform.

It will be a very , very interesting 2017.

I hope it works out the way I think it will.

You will be happy and eventually, reluctantly say......." damn 777, you are right again."

far out likes this.
  6. Grizzoola, Jan 7, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Yes, it will be an interesting 2017-2021. Not a good start, however, Trump doubling down on his doubts re: the Russkies' involvement in the election, and he's not even POTUS, yet. I'm not pissed they targeted the Demos; I'd be just as pissed if they did it to Trump.

Yeah, he'll be POTUS, but as I've said before, I'm breaking out the popcorn for this entire showtime.

7. Onautopilot, Jan 7, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

8. basicstrategy777, Jan 7, 2017

basicstrategy777

Hard to believe....I liked Paul Newman.

He runs a charity about 15 miles from my house. I like his popcorn.

Twelve4s and Onautopilot like this.
  9. Onautopilot, Jan 7, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

You would probably like a lot of "liberal" people, if you met them, and got to know them.

I know I like a lot of "conservatives"!

10. basicstrategy777, Jan 7, 2017

basicstrategy777

Maybe.......but I think it would require qualities I do not possess or am in short supply.

I wasn't given an even distribution........I've got some in spades and a dearth of others.

far out and Onautopilot like this.
  11. Dave G Ct, Jan 7, 2017

Dave G Ct

Dave G Ct Member

I always liked Paul Newman.Good race car driver also.

12. Onautopilot, Jan 7, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Never met him, but from most accounts, he was a fine man, off and on the stage.

13. Onautopilot, Jan 7, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

You often use "God" in your comments concerning political views, so I take it that you are a religious person. I believe if you take a look at most Theologians, you will find that they advocate liberal views, in most or many aspects of their teachings....they could be said to more liberal than conservative.

Like all of us, it is not a matter of one or the other, but more the amount of each, that one possesses. I have both liberal, and conservative thoughts, always have, just depends on circumstance.

14. basicstrategy777, Jan 7, 2017

basicstrategy777

WWJD ( what would Jesus do)

Many say he was neither conservative nor liberal....and had qualities of both. Kinda like Trump.

far out likes this.
  15. Onautopilot, Jan 7, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

You are not by any means trying to campare the two favorably are you? :)

basicstrategy777 likes this.
  16. Twelve4s, Jan 7, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

His Vodka sauce rocks!

17. Twelve4s, Jan 7, 2017

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Onautopilot likes this.