I just love these movies....

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by basicstrategy777, Dec 4, 2019.

1. basicstrategy777, Dec 4, 2019

basicstrategy777

2. MisterInside, Dec 4, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

25th Bond film.......Daniel's Craig's last? He's fantastic and I've liked all of the Bonds, but Sean Connery was my favorite. Rumor has it that 007 will be a woman in subsequent films.
    Political correctness run amok.

Last week, I went to our local, great library and checked out Goldfinger and Thunderball, my favorite two Bond movies. We all remember the buzz when Goldfinger took the world by storm around 1964. I would have been in the 7th or 8th grade back then. Probably saw it at least 6 times in the theater and countless times since. Pussy Galore......how did they get away with that? Nobody ever dreamed that the "Me Too" movement would prevent that character name today. And that Aston Martin. And those women. And those stunts. James Bond was the ultimate hero.

James Bond.......must be the most successful movie series ever. Great post 777!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    basicstrategy777 and yacraps like this.
  3. Grizzoola, Dec 4, 2019

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Did you know it was a Dem president, JFK, that got the country onto James Bond? He was asked what books he was reading right now & he mentioned Ian Fleming's adventures about a British spy, James Bond. I, for one, went out & bought a complete set of the novels. They were fun reading. Then, of course, the movies, esp. Sean Connery, the quintessential James Bond: ... "shaken, not stirred."

basicstrategy777 and yacraps like this.
  4. MisterInside, Dec 4, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

Dr. No and From Russia With Love came out in movie form before Goldfinger, which released in the fall of 1964, a year after the assassination. After Goldfinger’s enormous box office success, Dr. No and From Russia With Love we’re re-released as a double-feature, which I saw a few times. I remember reading that Thunderball and Goldfinger made the most money adjusted for current dollars. My brother also had the set of Fleming’s 007 paperbacks. Around that time, I bought him a paperback set of Mickey Spillane novels as a Christmas present.

I think that the gadgetry, action and women drove the James Bond success more than JFK. Goldfinger really put 007 on the map.

yacraps likes this.
  5. Grizzoola, Dec 4, 2019

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

No, JFK was a beloved president. People had his portrait in their living rooms. When word got out of his reading preferences, the James Bond series went skyhigh in sales.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  6. basicstrategy777, Dec 5, 2019

basicstrategy777

I read a few Bond books....I really liked the in depth detail he went into...specifically Bonds first car.....cool stuff......I just loved the bond movies and Connery is my favorite bond........those movies just had everything......777

Grizzoola and yacraps like this.