Jacob

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by basicstrategy777, May 11, 2018.

1. basicstrategy777, May 11, 2018

basicstrategy777

5 pages....anything you can do about this ?

yacraps likes this.
  2. TDVegas, May 11, 2018

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Other than not allowing new members (and spammers) to sign up...effectively shutting down the site to new membership in total---I don't think there is much he can do other than deleting the spam as reported.

I know certain sites have "bot checks" on sign up...identify a picture or something along those lines---but I don't think this site has that feature.

yacraps likes this.
  3. crispcem, May 11, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Jacob is the admin? There should something like Wordfence for wordpress sites he can install, though this is some forum software, where he or someone can instantly block ip addresses and whole countries from accessing. Even if someone uses a vpn proxy you can still block them. I'd like to see where the spam is coming from, and he might want to check to make sure he hasn't been hijacked for Monero mining. Might explain all the cpu loads and downtime. Sigh, it's a thing now, like ants milking aphids, miners will hack and suck someones cpu down to mine crypto. Remember the days of the dial telephone?? I'd like to go back to them.

yacraps and TDVegas like this.
  4. TDVegas, May 11, 2018

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

My understanding is this site was started by him simply for enjoyment purposes...all expenses for start up, maintenance, etc. were paid out of his pocket. He gets some donations here and there (beer fund)...but I'm not so sure how much he wants to invest in this to keep out the spammers, pests, hijackers, etc.

Yes, the telephone. Now...we fear everything from identity theft, malware, ransomware, trojan horses, credit theft, banking theft, telemarket scammers....and on and on.

5. Settingcanthurt, May 11, 2018

Settingcanthurt

I miss making crank calls. We used to have so much fun. We would dial a number and as soon as they answered we would start talking to each other on a extension phone, typically right next to each other, and completely ignore whoever answered the call. Man the stuff we would say to each other. Making dope deals, banging each others sisters, pimping the neighbors daughter whatever we could imagine. Mostly these people would just listen but sometimes they would get all excited and make threats to call the cops. There would be some others in the room laughing so hard. We even kept some numbers for repeat entertainment. Had lots of fun.

6. random_roller, May 11, 2018

random_roller

random_roller Member

Running true analytics to pre-filter incoming traffic can get expensive, depending upon daily ingest rate. IP addresses can easily be spoofed and that doesn't even take into account a spammer accessing the forum while using free wifi at Starbucks or at a public park. I'm not sure whether bots get kicked off after a certain time period (or whether that functionality is even feasible with the current installed version of XenForo software). Seems to be quite a few bots on at all times (51 now, down from 80+ earlier in the day).

Hopefully whomever is sending all the spam will lose interest soon and move on to another forum. As TDVegas noted, Jacob runs this forum on his own time and primarily at his expense; some members do make financial contributions.

Mssthis1 and yacraps like this.
  7. basicstrategy777, May 11, 2018

basicstrategy777

how do you fix the problem....how much does the fix cost ?

8. crispcem, May 11, 2018

crispcem

crispcem Member

Hell, I sent him a donation to buy himself a beer and he sent it back saying he felt bad about the server problems, and he took the donation button down! BRING BACK THE DONATION BUTTON! I'll chip in! I've never had a guy turn a beer down from me lol!

9. random_roller, May 11, 2018

random_roller

random_roller Member

I'll defer to Jacob. I think there are a number of members who have contributed to the beer fund in the past who would be willing to provide additional support if there is a viable solution that can be implemented.

That being said, the recent spam threads -- while an inconvenience -- are easily identified and ignored. IMO, the biggest issue is the "insufficient resources" error messages that we receive, sometimes not infrequently. Those could be the result of hardware, software, bandwidth or other issues. If memory serves, over a year ago the web hosting company switched servers and this forum was migrated over to a different server. That's really when the errors first started appearing and unfortunately they are still occurring to this day.

10. Night Attack, May 11, 2018

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

Why don't we just give James $42 and ask him to double up his next bet and he can bring back $5k for Jacob. I would if I could but I'm not there yet.

11. basicstrategy777, May 12, 2018

basicstrategy777

whether it's the progressive left....isis... mueller.....or these chinks.........if anything gets in the way, a permanent fix is required :......no half way measures please.

[​IMG]

12. von duck, May 12, 2018

von duck

von duck Member

:confused: :) :cool:

13. basicstrategy777, May 16, 2018

basicstrategy777

J

Are you going to do anything about this....... or not ?

yacraps likes this.
  14. basicstrategy777, May 18, 2018

basicstrategy777

It appears our side is out- gunned and out-willed....there are always winners and losers.....I hate to lose.

Twelve4s and yacraps like this.
  15. The Midnight Skulker, May 18, 2018

The Midnight Skulker

Me too, but just like in craps there are days that just aren't yours. I take it I have missed something? I have not come upon any spam for a week or so, so perhaps Jacob has cleaned up the place before my "inspection".

After a spam-a-thon it's easy to come up with a way to prevent a recurrence. Unfortunately, implementing the cure is not as easy. The forum software may lack the necessary precision.

For example, as I type this there are 15 UserIDs on the Who Has Visited list ending in "apedGAT". None of the few I checked have ever posted anything, and in previous sessions I have found that some were last seen checking the member list. My money says these are bots that are here merely to consume server resources and so could be eliminated...but how, other than manually, and with 99.44% confidence that they are not legitimate users, and in a way that will automatically defeat a similar technique to register UserIDs solely to overload the server?

Cyber security in general is a game of cat and mouse with each side building better versions of their players to defeat the current version of their opponent's. The old Usenet news readers eventually incorporated enough options to allow me to filter out 99.44% (a SWAG) of the spam, although I confess that I know I missed some legitimate posts as well.

"The fight continues." --Jordan Klepper

16. basicstrategy777, May 19, 2018

basicstrategy777

MN.....Unacceptable......

When I was with Pru in the last century......I was asked to take rookies on sales calls to show them how it's done.....

I told them ...you are not there to educate, you are there to sell........you can be lacksidaysical or you can be determined to get-ur-done.

I told them..."imagine I have a 45 to your head, and if you don't sell I pull the trigger "...........the point is.....if you are highly motivated, reallly motivated, you can do super-human things.......,you will get-ur-done.

What would Trump do ?

BTW...I really like Jacob and think he is outstanding.......

yacraps likes this.
  17. Twelve4s, May 29, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Today’s spam.

I copied latest spam post and tried running through google translate.

Got a warning message, exceeded 3900 character limit.

So, I copied a couple paragraphs and got this,

可以提供钢印、水印、烫金、激光防伪、凹凸版、最新版的毕业证、百分之百让您绝对满意、设计,印刷,DHL快递毕业证、成绩单7个工作日,真实大使馆教育部认证1个月。为了达到高水准高效率的服务,请您先以QQ 或微信的方式,对我们的服务进行了解后,如果有帮助再进行电话咨询。留学回国服务负责人Addis联系方式如下:QQ:551190476 微信:551190476
    ◆招聘代理:本公司诚聘美国、加拿大、英国、新西兰、澳洲、法国、德国、新加坡、法国各地代理人员,如果你有业余时间有兴趣就请联系我们宏洋教育校园代理,报酬丰厚。真诚期待您的加盟24小时为您服务态度端正专业入职解决您的学历烦恼
    QQ:551190476 微信:551190476(添加请注明:学校名及咨询的业务)

6BD4B5C0-3FA5-4724-9DFB-8C9A3CD65968.png

Maybe someone here with a supper computer can track these people down and be provided a reward, say, so much $$$ per Head?

F0387114-6C92-49D5-B528-42854F48C1F5.jpeg

18. basicstrategy777, May 30, 2018

basicstrategy777

These pricks.....don't we have any Nuks in our arsenal..........What would Trump do ?......

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    yacraps likes this.
  19. Twelve4s, May 30, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

He’d hire them for 2020. You asked.

20. basicstrategy777, Jun 4, 2018

basicstrategy777

Looks like the Chinks are gone....good job Jacob.

yacraps likes this.