Photo's you might like....

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by basicstrategy777, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Settingcanthurt, Apr 29, 2016

Settingcanthurt

I think this fits....

[​IMG] Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it.
    Stories Ranked by Vote

Sports Training
    Two apparently intoxicated men dared each other to test their courage against an intercity train at a Rotterdam train station. At 1800 hours on a Sunday night, the station was crowded with more than 300 sports fans

The Thing Ring
    In the interest of public safety, the Darwin Awards editors are releasing this ribald and unsavory event to the public to serve as a warning to adventurous amorous males. The event was brought too our attention by an

La Petite Mort
    Humans who aspire to high levels of desire may join the 'mile-high club' yet our dreams of sex in high places also have couples eyeing more accessible heights such as rooftops and romantic balconies. Balcony balls ar

Resurrection FAIL
    2 correspondents nominated the gullible acolyte who volunteered to be killed and resurrected by a holy man--and not a holy man who was experienced with the procedure, but a beginner who wanted to give it a whirl!

Man Customizes Car Ignition Sequence To His Peril
    Scott McKimmie's purple Volkswagen Cabriolet would not be considered roadworthy by most people, but to a handy mechanic a flaw can be considered a security feature. Early on Tuesday

Crispy Copper Fries
    The mummified remains of a man who was discovered in a Tucson manhole tell their own poignant story. The manhole, previously opened five years ago, was re-opened in May to investigate a fluctuation...

Selfie With Elephant
    Two men in Kenya were capturing selfies with a wild elephant when they were trampled to death by the irate pachyderm who proceeded to bury the corpses. The two men were actually touching the elephant's face

Anchorman
    18-year-old Chance Werner had recently graduated from high school and on the early hours of Sunday morning he was at Lake Allatoona celebrating with friends by playing the Shopping Cart Game...

Delhi Sandwich
    Life of Pi move over, Maqsood has a tale to tell. This 19-year-old factory worker joined a White tiger for lunch yesterday in the cat's Delhi zoo home. After being cautioned twice to not climb over the fence enclosin

Race To The Death
    For most people, the danger of high speed roadways is common sense, and few attempt to cross a major freeway. It is rare for anyone to die from doing exactly that...and then there is Kevin Ward.

Pool Party
    In the small town of Karczówka tragedy struck yesterday as seven people accidentally drowned in a cesspool, one after another. The first death was that of a tractor driver whose job was to empty the septic tank...

Boogie Board Blunder
    Universe to Zenk, 'Hey! You are about to die!' The Mountain View man arrived at the beach with his board and flippers and headed into the Ocean. But rocky cliffs line the Pacific shores and swells of 13 feet predicted...

Banana Bandido
    A banana farm was the site of a Friday night robbery in Limón. The perpetrator lived in the same building as the cafeteria before his fatal slip. Carrying a home-made gun, he was in the process of breaking into the banana.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2014.html

2. far out, Apr 29, 2016

far out

far out Member

There's no way Jose. Can't deal with heights either!...far out

3. betwthelines, Apr 29, 2016

betwthelines

betwthelines Member

while i certainly agree that when gone wrong, "sympathy" is not the most logical reaction to these daring actions, i can't help but surmise (ie "guess", lol) from your post, grizz, that you are in sync with the modern culture and comfortable with it:

safety uber alles

the solicitors have made immensely profitable outcomes for themselves with their insinuations into virtually every aspect of modern, daily life...we have lost great latitude in personal options but we are indeed much Safer...

i was reminded of this during the visit to my old, now sadly deteriorating naval base in the northwest cape of 'ustralier...there the what had almost been forgotten, wonderful, very deep, olympic sized swimming pool with its amazing 12 foot high diving board still looked to be in decent shape and with perhaps a little work serviceable even...twelve foot high diving boards for some are exhilarating, entertaining, wildly fun, thrilling, refreshing and pleasantly scary...

upon my return this prompted another of my idiosyncratic, informal, unscientific, always in-person, always verbal surveys...i have asked everyone that i have appropriately interacted with (let's face it the "context" has to be right) that is 50 years old or younger ---11 so far --- if they have ever experienced an 8 to 12 foot high diving board...thus far 10 have said "no"...small sample notwithstanding, 91% is a pretty high number in these personal surveys...i then asked if they had ever even SEEN one: many had to stop and think for a bit but the same 91% answered "no"...

the exhilaration of the high dive at public, semi-public and even private pools is virtually, maybe even completely, extinct in the united states...few jurisdictions even need to pass a law against them, although in the unlikely event that a proposal for one would ever come up such a law (it is not just the barristers with the "do good" impulse, votes are solicited also) would likely be swift in coming...but those laws are not necessary: the marketplace takes care of it with prohibitively high insurance (in effect litigation) costs...virtually all legacy dives have been removed...pool depths are Safer too: many i have been in recently do not even go over the head of my 5' 8" frame...newer pools rarely exceed 6 ft in depth with almost half or more of their surface area 3 ft deep or less...

a good number of sometimes even century old, immensely fun, greatly entertaining, marvelously social celebrations and traditions are gone for similar reasons.

But We Are Much Safer From Ourselves Today.

Security also is now Equally Paramount...we already have a police state at airports and other hubs...And Look How Easy That Was.

tom p

4. Onautopilot, Apr 29, 2016

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I have done some things that I might think twice about today.....things on motorcycles that one should probably not do....jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, and one time out of a not so perfect airplane.

BUT, hanging from a cliff face, attached with a small cord, in a hammock, overnight...excuse me!

Twelve4s likes this.
  5. Onautopilot, Apr 29, 2016

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

A twelve foot diving board, no sweat! But there is one thing in a pool, that I never want to do again....it's called a "Dilbert Dunker"!

It is a mock up of a cockpit, it is on a long rail that drops down into the pool. You get strapped in, then the tech. pushes a button, and down the rail you go. When it hits the water, it flips upside down about 6 feet under the water.

If you can't get unstrapped, and out of the cockpit before it appears you are going to drown, there are two safety divers there to extract you...hopefully in time. :)

If you didn't pass, no aircrewman wings! If you passed, they drove you over to a vacant lot, where there was another rail with a cockpit attached, you strapped in, and pulled the ejection handle....it fired you out of the cockpit, and up the rail in the ejection seat (about a two second wild ass ride)....not sure what the techs. called that one, but I called it the "Ass Pucker!". :)

far out likes this.
  6. Grizzoola, May 1, 2016

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

I saw one of those rigs in the movie, "An Officer and a Gentleman." The first thing I wanted to be as a kid was a pilot. Airplanes and boats still fascinate me; I can't help looking up when a plane goes overhead, esp. if it sounds different.

In college, I thought about going into the Navy & become a Navy pilot. The Life Magazine coverage & movies of WWII & the War in the Pacific inspired me. I still admire the elan of those Navy pilots during a time when taking to the air was more dangerous than just the fact of flying, itself.

Then, I learned that an older brother of a HS buddy, who had gone thru Air Force ROTC and became an AF pilot, was killed when his formation of planes dived straight into the Atlantic Ocean in the Bermuda Triangle area (1958?). I think it's still a mystery.

That cooled my desire to become a military pilot, considerably. My life took other routes, and I now realize I could not have handled the math. Things like vectors. I'm still in awe of how submarine and destroyer commanders, in a fight, could handle headings and speeds in their heads. The novel, "The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forster is an example.

Onautopilot and basicstrategy777 like this.
  7. yacraps, May 1, 2016

yacraps

yacraps Member

Nice pics BS some of the people in the pics need to realize due theory, as in eventually somethings due to go wrong

Onautopilot likes this.
  8. basicstrategy777, May 1, 2016

basicstrategy777

My comment would be....some people are fucking crazy.

God bless um'.

I don't know if I'd have the onions to do that stuff.

9. Harley, May 3, 2016

Harley

Harley Member

10. Twelve4s, May 3, 2016

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Biased architecture...

People who live in glass houses...

Shouldn't roll biased dice?

11. The Midnight Skulker, May 4, 2016

The Midnight Skulker

This picture reminds me of a short story I once read about a house that was built as a tesseract, a four-dimensional cube. During an earthquake the house folded into itself and disappeared.

12. Harley, May 4, 2016

Harley

Harley Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Harley, May 4, 2016

Harley

Harley Member

Three people are missing after a lakeside cliff collapsed, sending two houses plummeting into the depths of a disused mineshaft.

The incident, which happened in the German town of Nachterstedt, saw a 350-metre stretch of shoreline collapse.
    One home was completely destroyed, and another split in half in the catastrophe.

[​IMG]

Twelve4s likes this.
  14. Twelve4s, May 4, 2016

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

And what happened to the guy on the sport bike doing 110 on that road?

15. The Midnight Skulker, May 4, 2016

The Midnight Skulker

He's now negotiating a deal with Idaho's Bureau of Land Management for a permit to jump the Snake River Canyon. Goes by the name Skniveling Bad Guy, or something like that.

Twelve4s likes this.
  16. Settingcanthurt, May 5, 2016

Settingcanthurt

You are on to something I have noticed but not so vividly. Last high board I used was built in the 80's I think. It's a muni pool in Glendale Az. I was handicapped by vision when using it which may not seem like much but not being able to actually see the surface to time/judge entry all I could do was keep form outwardly diving entering hands,arms head first.
    It was a exhilarating moment. the water would still smack my head top hard. The hands,arms would flay about almost uncontrolled and the instant water pressure on my cheeks from ten or so feet below the surface hurt for a couple minutes.
    I often wondered it everyone experienced these same things.

17. Harley, May 6, 2016

Harley

Harley Member

... in Norway

[​IMG]

18. Harley, May 6, 2016

Harley

Harley Member

19. Onautopilot, May 6, 2016

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

20. basicstrategy777, May 7, 2016