Pocono Afterglow

Discussion in 'Craps Stories & Trip Reports' started by The Comeback Kid, May 20, 2018.

1. The Comeback Kid, May 20, 2018

The Comeback Kid

To celebrate the last born’s 21st, we visited Pocono Downs yesterday. Yes - rain, rain, rain the whole way, via NY, but then I thought; “Well, God is in the rain”- good omen, right? (I used to deliver papers on my bike after school in worse) Place sure was empty. Nevertheless, 2 craps tables were doing a brisk business & we had to wait for spots. Eventually, a couple of players had had enough, allowing us to belly up to the rail & take our beatings. Table conditions were like the weather report; dark & gloomy. Either a quick PSO’s or 1-&-Done. But, I was glad.

A hot table at the get-go for this youngin would’ve been disaster. “Yo yo hey Pops, this crapy-game is awesome. Ima quit my job at Wimpy’s & go pro, playing craps full time, dog!” But alas thankfully it was tough going & there I was answering questions, explaining the finer details, playing the role of seasoned advantage player, while the dice came to me. And now I'm animated. “Now looky here boy, Ima show ya how ta have a monstr roll.” See here, ya sets the dices like dis, now focus, then ya throws ‘em across the table, like dat, hitting the back wall. Point’s a 5. “Wow see, how great is dat! I'm well on my way to a monstr roll. I reset the dices again likey dis…concentrate…yeah Ima feeling it, ooh yeah…focus…aah I sees it…toss…7 out!” Oppsi, monstrous indeed!

Son tries his hand at shootin’, but, it was no better than mine. After a little while longer I realize that things were not going to improve, any time soon. What we need is a lunch break. Based on our initial struggles, I knew the other side of the equation was keyed up. But unless we got the taste of those losses out of our system, it couldn’t come. So I made sure we talked about everything else BUT those lousy tables, as we stuffed our faces with culinary delights, care of Wolfgang Puck. Then, it was back to biz.

As our second session gets underway it was hard to keep the faith, as it seemed to be a replay of the first. I'm losing credibility faster than a fake news reporter. But just as I was reaching into my wallet for more ammo, this unassuming older gent goes on one of those quiet 1+ hour rolls, hitting every number over & over. And wouldn't you know it, I'm on the dont's getting picked off. Quickly I realized my predicament & switched. Ya gotta flow with the flow. And, like parched desert wanderers who finally come upon water at the oasis, we were a pressin’, a collectin' & a doin' the happy dance, as if we'd just won the lottery.

When it was all over & our racks full of multi-colored chips, we along with 3/4's of the table colored up in unison. It's hard to explain, but there’s just something so wonderful about - bad turning to good. As I always say, “Notin’ sweeter than a good comeback.” And as we headed to the cage, I couldn’t help but wonder if the table would be as kind to the fresh new players, who were all too eager to take our places. Ya think?

2. Mssthis1, May 20, 2018

Mssthis1

Mssthis1 Member

Out of curiosity how did you make the switch from don't to do? I usually bet a 6/8 and spread out but there has to be a better way?

yacraps likes this.
  3. TDVegas, May 20, 2018

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

My first experience with blackjack in Vegas....shit, I couldn't lose. Hand after hand, double downs, splits. It was all going my way.

Took awhile a few more Vegas trips...before I heard it---worst (best:);)) thing to happen is to be an early winner in your gaming career. Then, you're hooked.

Nice "comeback" win...I guess that's where you got your moniker.

random_roller and yacraps like this.
  4. von duck, May 21, 2018

von duck

von duck Member

That's not where he got his "moniker", he got it at the opticians office. :)

5. von duck, May 21, 2018

von duck

von duck Member

:confused:
    To make the switch from don't to do, just scoot your line bet 3-4 inches closer to you. :) Be sure to stand where you have easy access to the pass line. :D

6. Mssthis1, May 21, 2018

Mssthis1

Mssthis1 Member

Most of the time if I'm seriously considering a transition it is while I'm watching the dealer pick up that bet that just lost.

Most of the time if I transition I make a pass line bet it's a comeout and place the 6/8. I was curious what others do.

Sometimes my transition is to leave, especially if the table has been choppy and I always seen to be on the wrong side.

7. Mssthis1, May 21, 2018

Mssthis1

Mssthis1 Member

I had to delete your smileys to get rid of the server error.

8. von duck, May 21, 2018

von duck

von duck Member

Wrong side of the chop, "been there, done that". I was just having a little fun, figured you alresdy knew how to do it. If you are going to switch in the middle of the through though, it's usually better to go form do, to don't. :D

9. Twelve4s, May 21, 2018

Twelve4s

Twelve4s Member

Other than getting layed, I can think of no better way to celebrate a 21st birthday! Congrats on a memorable win! Will your son now be known as TCBK Jr?

yacraps likes this.
  10. The Comeback Kid, May 21, 2018

The Comeback Kid

I wasn't too heavily into the don'ts. Had a few DCs & at the same time a few place bets, so it was easy to pull those dcs down before they got picked off.

yacraps likes this.
  11. The Comeback Kid, May 21, 2018

The Comeback Kid

Ha, ha, ha....

12. KokomoJoe4, May 21, 2018

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Nice one CBK.

You gotta like lots of chips of different colors - good going and go again!

yacraps likes this.
  13. yacraps, May 23, 2018

yacraps

yacraps Member

Congrats to you Comeback and number young son :) kids are cool

Twelve4s likes this.
  14. yacraps, May 23, 2018

yacraps

yacraps Member

How bout 6/8 and come