Pop Ups

Discussion in 'Housekeeping' started by MisterInside, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MisterInside, Jul 29, 2019

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

My laptop got attacked and I am getting many annoying pop ups. Does anybody have a fix?

I suspect that the attack came from the Forum. My HP laptop is effected but my Apple Ipad
    seems to be immune.

I bought Virus protection for $30/yr but that doesn't do squat. I'll also get an occasional
    ALERT.....CALL 1-800-THIRDWORLD to get your laptop fixed. I have always been able
    to avoid catastrophe.

yacraps likes this.
  2. yacraps, Jul 29, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

When you log on it does say that the connection is not secure

3. The Midnight Skulker, Jul 30, 2019

The Midnight Skulker

I got hit with a fake warning that my computer had been infected with a virus and had been locked up to prevent its spread, and to call some 800 number immediately. Of course I became very afraid I had encountered a copious amount of brown and smelly material, but bit the bullet and powered off (despite a warning not to), rebooted, and did a Google search on the key words in the "alert". Much to my relief it turned out to be a scam.

Same thing happened again when I re-entered the web site I was in when the brown and smelly material made contact with the air circulation device, but being as I was ready for it I was able to exit my browser before my computer did actually lock up. The only preventative measure I took was to block that site, and I have not been hit again since. You might find the following link useful.

yacraps likes this.
  4. TDVegas, Jul 30, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I shit canned all my PC products as it became endless cat and mouse bullshit with malware and virus updates, constant pop ups and the kicker was malware got thru anyway and locked up the files. It was a secondary computer and all my data was elsewhere...but it was a ransom threat. I took the computer apart and shredded it. It felt good.

While Apple products are not the end all....I've experienced no issues from the virus, malware, adware front.

Wish I had more advice on what you can do....but I threw in the towel on PC products. Best decision I've ever made on the computer front.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    yacraps likes this.
  5. HornHighBLEVE, Jul 30, 2019

HornHighBLEVE

HornHighBLEVE Member

Now I'm using the Brave browser which blocks most every pop-ups known to mankind.

btw I use to hit 'alt' 'f4' at the same time to close out suspicious windows that I was afraid to hit the 'x'. sometime hitting the 'x' to close will start a redirect.

One time I had a window so stubborn that I had to hit alt,f4, a doz times or more to close it out.

Glad to hear you didn't pay a ransom.

Mssthis1, yacraps and TDVegas like this.