Question about prop bet payouts

Discussion in 'General Craps Discussion' started by 8DWU8, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 8DWU8

8DWU8 Member

I was reading about the different prop bets and stumbled across the horn bet. A $4 bet where 3,11 pay 3:1 and 2,12 pay 27:4. It mentioned that some bets will be horn high making it at $5 bet with the extra $1 placed on one of the 4. What are the payouts then when it is a horn high bet?

2. basicstrategy777, Dec 6, 2012

basicstrategy777

I think you need to read the book again.....your payouts don't look quite right to me. I thought the payout if you hit a 3 or 11 is 15 to 1.....and the payout on a 2 or 12 is 30 to 1.

Tell me exactly what the book says you get paid on the 3/11 and the 2/12 on a 4 dollar horn bet.

The way I figure it is to determine how many units of 4 I have bet e.g. $4 horn is 1 unit of 4....$8 is 2 units of 4.....$12 is 3 units of 4......$16 is 4 units of 4.......$20 is 5 units of 4....etc/etc..................if the 3/11 hit, you multiply 12 by the number of units to determine your win........if 2/12 hits you multiply 27 times the number of units to determine your win.

The payout on a horn high 2/12 is different than the payout on a horn high 3/11 and requires a different formula.

Horn payouts, C&E split payouts and other prop payouts are all explained in chapter 7 of my book. This chapter explains ALL the bets you can make at a craps table.

3. 8DWU8

8DWU8 Member

My mistake it is 12:4 for the 3 & 11. I'm not sure where I got the 3:1. I understand that $4 equals one unit for the payouts. Just don't understand the horn high payout. It was a real quick discussion on it. It didn't really go indepth on prop bets. It basically said to stay away from them

4. basicstrategy777, Dec 7, 2012

basicstrategy777

Horn high 12.......payout is: 11 x bet + amount on number hit. e.g..............11 x 5 =55 plus 2= 57

Horn high 11........payout is: 5 x bet plus amount on number hit...e.g.............5 x 5 = 25 plus 2 = 27

MORE:

HORN HIGH ACE DEUCE

ACE DEUCE HITS ............5 x bet plus amount on number hit.
    ELEVEN HITS............. 2 x bet plus amount on number hit.
    TWELVE HITS ..................5 x bet plus amount on number hit.
    ACES HITS ......................5 x bet plus amount on number hit.

HORN HIGH TWELVE

TWELVE HITS ................11 x bet + amount on number hit.
    ACES HITS............... 5 x bet plus amount on number hit.
    ELEVEN HITS .......................2 x bet plus amount on number hit.
    ACE DEUCE HITS .................2 x bet plus amount on number hit.

SAID ANOTHER WAY:

A Horn High Yo would have one dollar on the two, three and 12 and two dollars on the 11. You can bet a Horn High Two, Horn High Three or Horn High 12. You just tell the stickman which of the four numbers you want as your High number. If your High number is rolled you will be paid twice the payout minus three dollars for the other two losing bets. If one of the other numbers is rolled you will be paid the single payout amount minus four dollars for the losing bets, the two other singe bets and your double that you have on the high number.

Hope this clarify's things.

PS....I guess craps authors and players all come from a different angles.....I would not, not play prop bets; I would dedicate 10 to 15% to them. Why ?.....you might catch lightening in a bottle........it's fun........it might bring you back from the dead. What is the reason the other author said not to play prop bets....hi vig ?.....bah-humbug. The faint heart never won the maiden; unless life is an adventure it is nothing. You can't steal second unless you take a good lead off of first. It would be great to have a great prop bet win to tell your friends and grand-kids, with the lies getting bigger as time goes by. Vig is a kill-joy, however, it is not the reason you lose.

5. 8DWU8

8DWU8 Member

Thank yo for all the input. I never really mess with prop bets when I play but I may give this one a try or two.

6. Lifeisacrapshoot, Dec 9, 2012

Lifeisacrapshoot

One of my favorite prop bets is the "3 Way Craps" bet. I feel a bit of protection, if I'm the Shooter because I'm already on the PL. If I don't roll a 7 or 11 on the come out, then I have my 3 way craps bet to cover me in case I roll a 2, 3, or 12. A $3.00 "3 way craps" bet pays, 30 to 1 if the 12 or Aces hit minus $2.00 for the other 2 numbers, so the payout would be $28.00. If the shooter rolls a 3 on the come out, that would be 15 to 1 minus $2.00 for the other 2 of the 3 way bet, and that payout would be $13.00. I could then use the necessary portion of that 3 way craps bet win to put on the PL, thus continuing to try to establish a point number.

Lifeisacrapshoot (Pam)