The Four-Barrel Shotgun Strategy

Discussion in 'Advanced Craps' started by Grizzoola, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Grizzoola, Sep 30, 2015

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Have any of you heard of this? I'm posting this from a different board (maybe Jacob won't allow it). It goes like this (if Jacob allows it):

"Time to dust off the "Four-Barrel Shotgun." This is adapted from a r.g.c post over 12 years ago:

Overview
    Establish four points, then take odds on them simultaneously. If two numbers come down before a 7, you're slightly ahead.

Let's assume $10/3,4,5x odds, standard on the Las Vegas strip these days. (The original post had $2/10x. Hah!)

Phase 1
    Make a $10 pass line bet, and continue making $10 come bets until you have a total of four numbers working: one pass and 3 comes. Do not make any odds bets yet.

Four numbers covered won't happen all the time, so you'll be waiting a bit to get to phase 2. The worst you can do in this phase, outside of a long streak of craps rolls, is to lose 2 line bets because the last come wins.

Phase 2
    Once you have four numbers working, take odds on all of them at once. I recommend 2x ($20) to start, and then press later if the shooter keeps going. Now wait for the numbers to come down, and keep count of how many odds bets you win. If the 7 shows prior to any numbers being made, obviously you're out of luck. This is the maximum loss for any given shooter, again outside of any other craps rolls. If one number is hit prior to a 7, you'll lose about half your total wager. But if two or more numbers are hit, you'll be ahead.

Phase 3
    If three numbers hit, you can start rebetting the come line. Remember how I said to keep count of the number of odds bets you'd won? Make come bets until you have that many numbers covered, and take odds on each. If you go off-and-on with an existing come point, that increases the count of total odds bets won. If you've only won 4 odds bets, don't make more than 4 come bets. This will ensure that you keep some winnings.

Phase 4
    At some point, if the shooter keeps rolling numbers, your count of odds bets won will exceed 6. This means several things. It means
    that you will always have a bet in the come box, and it means that any number hit will go off-and-on. It also means you can start pressing the odds amounts to higher bets since you didn't max-out the odds at first. Beyond this, it's up to you how you proceed. You can continue to just go off-and-on, you can press the odds bets, and if you've already made the maximum odds bet you can even start pressing your line bets.

If a seven rolls and knocks you down, start over. If you made it to Phase 3, you'll have a profit. If you've made it to Phase 4, you'll
    have a sizeable profit.

A good way to gauge when to stop is to track how many total wipeouts you have. For example, a $400 bankroll can survive three total wipeouts of four $10/2x bets. So start with $400, play until you have three total wipeouts, and then see whether you're up or down. If you've found a $5 table, you can halve everything including the starting bankroll."

Have any of you tried this?

yacraps likes this.
  2. Onautopilot, Sep 30, 2015

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

I remember it well from the old rgc site. I was just trying to remember who it was that played it, and shared the info. I have played something similar to this, but, not as rigid a strategy though. It has the potential to be very volatile....fast wins, fast losses. Every strategy has it's advantages and disadvantages, and all of them require "luck"! It does use the lowest HA bets, and the odds part further reduces the vig on the overall bet handle.

Personally, I don't see any real advantage in waiting to take the odds until you have 4 numbers covered, other than reducing the volatility. There will be many hands where you will never take odds, getting up on four numbers is not something that happens all the time.....the average decision lasts about 3.5 rolls, I think.

Anyhoo, it's probably as good a way as any to risk your money, low HA bets, and using some of your bankroll on the odds. You are probably speeding up the process with all those bets, but, "Get 'er done!", is sometimes the way to go. :)

yacraps likes this.
  3. Grizzoola, Oct 1, 2015

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Some good observations, here, at least for a newbie like me. A comment on the other board made the same point you did re: waiting for 4 numbers to be covered. And, even if low HA bets, it seems $120 a shot on a $400 bankroll is risking too much at one time. The strategy even says, "3 outs & you're out."

I guess, for me, right now, (when I finally get to a table, again) I stay w/ my conservative plan before experimenting w/ larger bets.

yacraps likes this.
  4. basicstrategy777, Oct 1, 2015

basicstrategy777

I play a modified form of this....with me, eventually all come bets are replaced with place bets, as this allows me to get built up money off the table and allows me to regress if I wish or go up to table max, which I can't do with odds bet, and of course allows me to say " I'm off"....when I know the 7 is due and will show on the next toss.

The reason for the late odds is due to early death on quick seven outs. What happens early is very important to me as only 2.37 rolls go up to the point. The come bet also acts as a hedge.

It's a strong way to play, IMHO.

yacraps likes this.
  5. KokomoJoe4, Oct 1, 2015

KokomoJoe4

KokomoJoe4 Member

Playing right (Do), think KISS. We all know why.

yacraps likes this.
  6. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 13, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

Pardon the Interruption.
    I was rummaging through some boxes clearing out old tax returns and bills, and chanced upon the original article on this method I had printed out in 2004. I thought it might be of some interest as a diversion from the current flames. Fortunately I decided to check that thought for originality and discovered I had been scooped some four-and-a-half years ago, so I will confine my "report" to the following link:

That would be Stacy Friedman, aka MathExtremist on WoV.

You may now return to your regular programs.

yacraps likes this.
  7. DeMango, Feb 13, 2020

DeMango

DeMango Member

Great read. Math Extremist on WoV was pretty harsh on di’s and really got into it with Two Dumb Billy.

yacraps likes this.

8. Liman

Liman Member

then theres the 6 barrel shotgun approach, loaded bases style. bet the come every roll, take the odds, good roll, you make a mint. everything works when the dice go your way

The Midnight Skulker and yacraps like this.
  9. The Midnight Skulker, Feb 16, 2020

The Midnight Skulker

I've heard that weapon has quite a "kick" when the dice go the other way.

yacraps likes this.
  10. basicstrategy777, Feb 16, 2020

basicstrategy777

i've got a coachgun....and when you squeese both triggers it has a good kick......I can't imagine 6 barrels

yacraps likes this.