The WWII heroes are dying off

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by Grizzoola, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Grizzoola, Jun 16, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

It's a treat to read about these heroes from every hamlet in the U.S., who came to its defense, happily, I might add. One such of several from Montana, my home state, was this guy, whose statement at the end of the article is poignant:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/ha...cle_881fff8f-758c-5cfb-8681-c546d8bdbffd.html

“I was never afraid,” McCauley said. “I was eager to get into that plane. I enjoyed every bit of it. I really did.”

Onautopilot, far out and Twelve4s like this.
  2. Grizzoola, Jun 16, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

Swagger. That's what all these WWII pilots had (hopefully still). I'm mesmerized by the Navy carrier pilots of WWII in the Pacific Theater. Christamighty! You talk about swagger, these guys all had it. That's what it takes to win a war, or even a football game.

Onautopilot and far out like this.
  3. far out, Jun 17, 2017

far out

far out Member

I'm sad to say that they were truly the greatest generation and will be sadly missed!
    far out

4. badddoin, Jun 17, 2017

badddoin

badddoin Member

Well you've it now. You've opened yourself up to yet another boring, personal story from me. If wise, you'd scroll on.

My ole man was a WW11 Vet. Served in Okinawa, but never really spoke much about it.

He was a miserable old fart. Hardly ever had anything nice to say about anything. It's just how he was.

He was supposed to die when he was 80. He was under Hospice care, the whole nine yards - renal failure - whatever that is.

At any rate, the whole family was summoned from all over the country, for his 80th birthday. Everyone obliged, musta been 50 head o' idiots there, near as I could tell. I mean, it WAS the last time we were gonna see him, right?

Well the stubborn old fuck didn't die, and eventually the Hospice folks went away.

This was around the time of the internet getting pretty ramped-up, and some of his old Army buddies looked him up. Next thing you know, this old bastard jumps on an airplane and flies to who-knows-where for a reunion with these guys.

The next time I see my father, he's practically giddy. I was in my 40s then, and I swear I had never seen him happy before. He was showing me old pictures I had never seen, and comparing them to pics he'd taken on his trip.

Those guys breathed life back into Dad. He died a few years ago at 92. I miss him everyday.

You were warned.

5. far out, Jun 17, 2017

far out

far out Member

I never tire of these old Vets stories and I'm sure many don't either. Thanks so much for sharing and God Bless all these old guys!
    far out

yacraps, betwthelines and Onautopilot like this.
  6. Onautopilot, Jun 17, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

They still have it!

If you were a fly on the wall at the Tail Hook Assoc. reunion, you could see it first hand. :)

7. Onautopilot, Jun 17, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Thanks for sharing a great story!

yacraps and far out like this.
  8. Onautopilot, Jun 17, 2017

Onautopilot

Onautopilot Member

Don't sell the modern service men, women, and youth of our country short....the media seldom shows the "rest of the story"....a lot of true heroes out there. They are everywhere, in the service, first responders, the common man / woman doing the labors, and raising their families, with the values as traditional as the good old days....these might just become the good old days eventually.

yacraps and Grizzoola like this.
  9. Grizzoola, Jun 17, 2017

Grizzoola

Grizzoola Member

I agree w/ everything you say, OAP. The thing that has intrigued me as a kid during WWII is carrier pilots were taking severe casualties, mostly deaths. Yet, these bastards eagerly took off from those "postage stamps in the sea," not knowing (or even caring?) if they would ever return. They had a hell of a swagger, not to discount AF pilots like McCauley, guarding Allied bombers over Germany.

It's good to know our way of life, on all levels, is preserved by all the folks you cite.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Onautopilot likes this.