Toilet Paper - The GR8 D-B8.

Discussion in 'Offtopic Lounge' started by Night Attack, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Night Attack, Mar 8, 2020

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

I think this issue is big enough now to warrant it's own thread.

Let me explain the way I see things here and while I hear what you guys are saying that your aisles are still full of TP, if you think this won't happen in your neighbourhood anytime soon then you should probably just ignore me. But when it happens, it will happen swiftly and overnight. Be toilet paper prepared.

As I see it we will not run out of toilet paper. The problem currently is that supply cannot meet demand and is causing a frenzy and some mild panic while many are trying to remain calm. I'm sure most of you have seen some of the footage of fights and what not coming out of our supermarkets over toilet paper.

Yesterday morning, Sunday, i went to the supermarket early about 15 mins before opening time only to find a crowd of about 50 people waiting at the front door and for opening time. Everyone was there mainly for toilet paper. By the time the doors opened the crowd had nearly doubled. The store manager came outside and said, listen up. This is how it's going to be. We have whatever stock we have and that's it. If you miss out come back tomorrow. There will be no running, pushing, shoving or abuse towards staff. Anyone caught doing that will be asked to leave. There will be a two pack maximum so take your two packs and move away.

These were 8 packs by the way so they won't go far in a family of 4. Well I am happy to report that everyone who got there early got their ration and all went well without any trouble. Two staff members were standing on pallets directing and reminding shoppers of what to do. Take your two packs and move away from the area basically. Now those who turned up half an hour after opening would have missed out and I guarantee you if I go next week the crowd standing out front waiting for doors to open will be double, and everyone will be creeping a little bit closer, and walking a little bit faster as the doors open. Shopping carts will be abandoned as they will only slow you down. I have ordered a carton of 48 rolls online so let's see if they show up. And yes I am now paying twice the price for toilet rolls.

yacraps likes this.
  2. Night Attack, Mar 8, 2020

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

A few days ago we were slapped with a 4 pack limit on purchases. Yesterday it was down to a two pack limit and one supermarket had it down to a one pack limit and actually had staff handing them out. No self service anymore. I'm not sure of the pack sizes but you can see where this is trending.

People are saying that the flu infects a greater number of people and also kills a lot more. Well what will you say if and when this virus surpasses those numbers? The number of cases is multiplying and won't take long before this is in the millions if a cure and antidote isn't found fast. Then what? We are already being told to avoid large crowds so no one will want to even go outside unless absolutely necessary.

Buy up on toilet paper now even if you buy 5 years' worth as it I not a perishable item and sooner or later your idiot kids will com calling to see if you have any spare rolls and at least you can give them some. Same will go for your friends and neighbours. I'd rather invest in toilet paper as your money ain't worth anything in the bank. In fact, if you buy now you will actually be doing the economy a favour because right now in your part of the world supply can meet demand and whatever you buy can easily be replenished.

If you are like me then you have better things to do on a Sunday morning rather than lining up outside a supermarket waiting to be handed your ration. And the price is going up, and the petrol you spend travelling to get your ration a couple of times a week is just another hidden cost.
    I'm not predicting doom and gloom but this could go on for many more months to come. Buy now while stocks are plentiful and while they can be easily replenished.

I wonder how long before someone is murdered over a toilet paper argument.

yacraps likes this.

3. Liman

Liman Member

I watched different news broadcasts from Australia, they all seemed to have the same mantra, calm down, this isn't the end of the world, but after watching those 2 women fight in walmart I don't think the message is getting out.
    I still don't understand the reasons for toilet paper running out so fast with hoarding, even more so than bottled water, baby formula, things that people depend on (yes, I know people depend on toilet paper)

I showed my wife the video of the women fighting, she said it will never come to that here, then she reassured me, 10 years of buying out other peoples life long collections of quilting cotton material, she said she will cut them into strips and wed be able to wipe for the next 5 years, so no worries for me.

thinking about it, its both sad and scary.

People will not stop going outside, its a virus, and its not going to kill 50% of the population.

france decided no more events with more than 1000 people. another thing I don't get. so 1000 is ok, why not 5000? 1000 is enough to spread it.

if US decides this, it will mean no more baseball, basketball, hockey, no ncaa bracket tourney, etc....and so on and so on......don't think it will happen, but who knows.

I do think the stock market is going to keep tanking until some relief of the virus is found or the spread slows down. Its hard to watch my life long investments/nest egg shrink daily, but I have faith it will come back when this panic stops.

I live on long island, ny. I estimate within 30 minutes of my home, I have 4 walmarts, 6 bj or costcos, 2 targets, cant even count how many supermarkets, 100s of 99 c plus stores, dozens of bodegas/delis, and at least 3 paper wholesalers who sell commercial toilet paper either those giant rolls or individual rolls in large cases. Not sure whats it like in Australia theres little panic here it seems, maybe the big stores are selling out, but there are still hundreds of other outlets here to TP

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    yacraps and Night Attack like this.

4. Liman

Liman Member

and to all those that laughed at me when I said las vegas will eventually charge a fee for toilet paper use, its coming. 5 dollars per day included will be one roll per room per day.

I hate to say this, but this could turn into a real shitstorm.

5. Night Attack, Mar 8, 2020

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

People don't give a rats what the Prime Minister says. At the end of the day when the shit hits the fan they all know the Prime Minister will want for nothing. So they do what they need to do for themselves. Eventually manufacturing will catch up with demand but until then expect to see more scenes of fights in supermarkets.

Obviously the US economy is much larger than ours and may be able to sustain such an event for a longer period. I hope so. Good to know I can count on my buddy Liman to ship me over a few cartons if necessary.

Regarding the sporting events, they will go forward even if they have to do so behind closed doors or in front of empty stadiums.

yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.
  6. Night Attack, Mar 8, 2020

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

yacraps likes this.
  7. MisterInside, Mar 9, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

8. Liman

Liman Member

Costco on Long Island is out of tp

Supermarkets are full as we were there to get fruit today
    stop and shop had mountains of toilet paper
    No one wants to pay full price
    I called my buddy who owns a giant pharmacy and told him to put 8 30 packs on the side for me
    Im all set

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  9. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Neighbor family of five took off to Sansabel Island FL two days ago. Sounds heavenly dont it. I wonder how it's going in all these spring break areas. Most anyone who wanted this and have it paid for will probably continue on into the touristy areas. There has to be a toll paid here.

More on topic my current goal is to bring in more toilet paper then I use. Brought in 24 rolls yesterday. Going on the hunt again today.

10. Mssthis1, Mar 9, 2020

Mssthis1

Mssthis1 Member

yacraps likes this.
  11. MisterInside, Mar 9, 2020

MisterInside

MisterInside Member

No news on the Aqueduct robbery. Bad guys wore surgical masks. No shit. Also, guards had no guns. What the fuck? Glad to hear that you scored some TP.

yacraps likes this.

12. Liman

Liman Member

so Im driving home today with top down from my buddy. 2 packs in the trunk, and had to put 6 packs on the back seat.

since 2005 when I owned my first german sports car, people are just fucking annoying, asking questions, hey, nice car, what did it set you back? wow, what that run ya?, like I want to sit at a red light and answer some assholes question.

today, it wasn't like I could hide it, sitting at a red light coming back from lunch, guy with a cane says, nice, what'd it cost ya? I gave my usual answer, oh, its not mine, Im just driving it home for my friend. He said, no, the toilet paper.

13. Liman

Liman Member

fuck aqueduct, they have the lowest paying slot machines on earth, 250 grand to them is like 250 dollars to me. not the end of the world, just annoying.

the thieves probably took that 250 grand, bought out a warehouse of toilet paper and will soon be selling them out of a truck along the highway entrances/exits like xmas trees a month before xmas.

14. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Picked up another 40 rolls today at local Fleet farm store. Ya know they have special paper for RV's? & septic systems?? Big pallots of them too. I felt silly buying two more packs till I got to Costco and saw the shelves empty. Worker said they emptied out days ago. So I bought some ribs and a cooked chicken and napkins. As I was putting it in my Explorer in the back i took the cart to the rack and noticed i had left the back open and a couple people were looking at my toilet paper. I felt the handle on my 642 make sure it was there in my pocket.

yacraps, Mssthis1 and Night Attack like this.
  15. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

yacraps likes this.

16. Liman

Liman Member

my friends love their 4.99 rotisserie chickens. so we picked one up today, the first of the day, and we weren't that impressed. great price, but flavorless. my local market has them for 7.99, much better, and theres a Peruvian place close by that charges 11.99, well worth it.

17. Night Attack, Mar 9, 2020

Night Attack

Night Attack Member

Speaking of chicken, Portuguese chicken is quite popular here and although I've asked many times I cannot seem to get to the bottom of it. Are the chickens actually from Portugal?

By the way my shipment of toilet paper arrived today. Not the best quality and thrice the price but beggars can't be choosers.

yacraps likes this.
  18. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Yea these birds are kinda fatty as well. I deboned it after eating the legs and wings. Gave it to the chiefcook and bottle washer who produced this wonderful chicken salad. I stuck the bones in a pot to boil with celery & such. It's on the back porch tonight chillin. Ribs were grilled and baked, wrapped into foil to the freezer. I too spend more for a better dead bird. Mostly we make wraps. Hot tip is this spicy Mayonnaise hitting the market. Man it's good.

yacraps and Mssthis1 like this.
  19. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Was thinking about a go-fund-me for you. Have all of us send you a couple rolls.

yacraps, Mssthis1 and Night Attack like this.
  20. Settingcanthurt, Mar 9, 2020

Settingcanthurt

Traditional Portuguese Chicken, also called Peri Peri Chicken (or sometimes Piri Piri Chicken) is made with Piri Piri peppers which actually originated in South Africa, and were imported to Portugal from two Portuguese colonies, Angola and Mozambique, on spice ships.
    Sounds good. New way to make chicken up here. I'm on it.

yacraps likes this.