What's YOUR strategy on the ATS bet?

Discussion in 'Prop Bets & Side Bets' started by CraigR, May 23, 2019.

1. von duck, May 26, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

Those "black" areas in the mojave, are most likely, (lava flows). There are some pretty expansive ones, between Barstow and Ludlow along I-40. That black streak in the "cut", was something you weren't supposed to see. There will be a couple of "government guys" along shortly, to "help" Yaccraps, forget that he saw it. :) How does an experienced hiker, NOT take enough water, when he goes hiking in the desert? Did you wind up drinking your own urine? :cool:

2. yacraps, May 26, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

Yes its on the left, when you leave Shoshone heading toward Pahrump on the Charlie Brown Hwy at the top is the feature
    No been thru Tecopa but never checked out the springs...My parents moved to Pahrump in 1990 on one of their jonts stopped at the springs and my pops pretty much told me the same thing you experienced I can still see my mother laughing and shaking her head as my dad was telling of their experience.....(resource errors really suck again)

TDVegas likes this.
  3. yacraps, May 26, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

I forgot about the hiking you can do at China Ranch...Dumont Dunes (sand) are off the Hwy 127 going or coming from Baker....sounds like you guys had a neat day ;)

TDVegas likes this.
  4. von duck, May 26, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

Nice try TD, but most of the forum guys, know that Death Valley, ain't in China.

5. The Midnight Skulker, May 26, 2019

The Midnight Skulker

Not surprised. Amazing, isn't it, the magnitude of the variance -- hey, I'm the math guy -- of gas prices depending on location? (Not!) Sometimes there's variance even for the same brand in the same town depending on location; stations close to a main highway are higher. BTW I filled up in Mountain Home, ID, yesterday for $3.40, mid-grade, and heard on the news recently we're substantially above the national average. Death Valley is in California, which I understand has higher gas taxes due to higher standards for emissions.

Speaking of emergency fill-ups only, Jordan Valley, OR, had that reputation some years back -- and may still; I haven't been through there since I quit my pre-taxi day job -- but for a different reason. It was a speed trap, thanks to the local sheriff, who took advantage of the situation that the speed limit dropped from 55 to 25 with nothing in between. At one time I worked with a guy who had a close relative who owned a general store in the middle of town. He reported that his relative's business, which did not sell gas, took bigger and bigger hits as word got around.

That reminds me of the dunes between Winnemucca, NV, "city center" and the farms to the north. (That's right: agriculture next to sand dunes.) The road in from McDermitt at the Oregon/Nevada border is the longest 72 miles I remember ever driving: straight as a string except for two 10º "turns", probably explained by the length of the builder's string.

TDVegas and yacraps like this.
  6. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

I checked on Dumont Dunes....no, different area than where we were.

Long day, but good to get out of Vegas. Jammed packed this holiday weekend. Weather has been real so so here past few days. Much cooler than average. Can't remember, but I think China Ranch topped out around 85 yesterday....which was actually perfect.

The road into the ranch....

image.jpeg

yacraps likes this.
  7. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

image.jpeg

yacraps likes this.
  8. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Ok..had the look of lava, actually.

Bad calculation based on the length of the trail. Water should have been double what it was. As there were shorter routes one could take within the framework of the trail...the longest was chosen.

We weren't the only ones coming back with an empty water container.

Drinking your own urine?....never a good idea. I'll drink the from the small stream before I do that.

yacraps likes this.
  9. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Maybe it's just me...took 10 tries to get a response down, no luck. Eliminated emojis....went thru on next try.

10. yacraps, May 26, 2019

yacraps

yacraps Member

I do like Hornhighbelieve does keep clicking until the error says uncle....very frustrating

TDVegas likes this.
  11. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Paid $3.50 out of Vegas. I remember not long ago...it was $3.00. Pahrump, which is much more remote than Vegas is about .50 cents cheaper per gallon. $2.99.

12. von duck, May 26, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

You don't find too many small streams in the mojave, at least not with water in them. Even if you would have carried two glasses of water, you probably would have spilled most of it, before the ice even melted. :)

13. The Midnight Skulker, May 26, 2019

The Midnight Skulker

There's something about emojis in quoted text that gives the forum software fits. Besides resource errors, which I'm getting just thinking about doing anything today, I get configuration errors. I can get around those by copying the emoji to the clipboard, which converts it to an emoticon, then copying it back into my reply. Of course you have to copy the emoticon back every time it gets converted back to the emoji, like if you preview your post.
    Is Pahrump all that far off I-15? Typically gas prices at places off the beaten path are higher, supposedly due to transportation costs, but Pahrump may be using lower prices as an enticement to Californians to take a detour. When I was getting to Fallon a couple times a year the locals on one trip were up in arms about gas being 20¢ higher than in Reno.

14. von duck, May 26, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

What's that black line, stretched across the picture, and how did those rocks get holes in them, that the sun could shine through? :cool:

15. von duck, May 26, 2019

von duck

von duck Member

In this photo, if you look at the reflection on the hood of the vehicle, on the right hand side, it looks like you have captured the reflected image of an alien. Did you experience any "lost time" during your journey?

16. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Pretty far from the 15. Maybe 90 minute drive. It's possible the lower prices are an enticement. A good 50 cents cheaper than Vegas.

Since I assume Jacob 86'd the "alternative" James Hall ID in the past few days....I assume he's been here and has seen the problems....hopefully he's working on it.

17. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Looks like some kind of triceratops.

18. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

There was one. Moving pretty good too. Not sure I would trust it...but if push came to shove, I'm drinking it.

19. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

Even found lodging for the night...if all else failed.

image.jpeg

20. TDVegas, May 26, 2019

TDVegas

TDVegas Member

There were several areas of marshy greenery...wet too. Not too many places to get out of the sun....which is what will do people in during the summer. Suffering dehydration isn't fun.

image.jpeg