In Panama on business….
Panama City pretty safe. Casinos abound…Thought id walk and check some out.
Had a slightly enlarged bankroll from Vegas last week so decided to try the luck in Central America, mostly just to say that I’d played here.
Game the same, customs very different.
One dealer spoke English, so I set up shop right next to him. Kept an eye on payouts. Everyone was friendly and the game was very fair….however:
- More people leaning on the rail NOT playing than playing
- Winnings are “slung” to the player, and not moved through the come. Pass Line winnings are more or less thrown to the player on the felt
- Saw multiple shooters touch others cheques, the puck, move hands off the table and back on before touching the die…..very different etiquette from stateside play. Weird shit that would get your ass tossed in the states.
- Most of all, the folks not playing were the most annoying. I was shoved from the end of the table all the way around to the dealers hip on the left. It was not pleasant.
-Live band right next to the “pit” , which consisted of one craps table. Hard to hear, but the dealer understood EVERYTHING I wanted to do during the rolls. Very impressed
- Never saw one waitress..
- Did not see a toke box near the non-existent boxman, but did lay a few line bets for the dealers. They looked befuddled and were VERRRRY appreciative. Appreciative to the point so much that by the time i was pushed to the hook, the dealer paid winnings out of order and paid or pressed my bets first, where stateside, I should have been paid last.
- The game was choppy with tables like rubber. So bouncy that a controlled shooter would lose patience very quickly.
- Used hardway and 3V set my two shots. 15 and 18 rolls respectively with each set. Two points made each set.
- NOBODY PLACES ODDS ON THEIR PASS LINE BETS…ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!! It was excruciatingly difficult to watch
- I cant say it was a good craps experience, but it wasn’t all that horrible either. The casino (Veneto) was very small. Lots of slots and blackjack (which appears to be the game of choice down here)......Never saw min bet sign for the craps table, but everyone had nickels on the line, so I followed suit. 2 buck chuck on BJ.
Very different gambling experience in Central America. Had fun, just to say I did, but wouldn’t do it again. Maybe it was the particular factors of TONIGHT, but I cant see myself having a good time gambling here on a regular basis.
Just thought Id share….a little off topic, but better than the standard long-term play mathematical talk around here.